Loose Steering Wheel 2003 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CGP2

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the parts needed to replace the upper bearing that holds the steering shaft. Been searching a lot on anyone that has done this fix before. Issue is the steering wheel has a little bit of up/down , left/right, and push/pull - maybe a quarter inch in all directions. Found some bearing repair kit on eBay for 1992 and up Fords. Unable to find anything specific for the 2nd Gen expedition.

I got as far as removing the steering wheel and clock spring. Then I end up with this.

CE7E1EE7-C8B5-4690-96F9-7F6A90DF79F4.jpeg

Does not look like the c-clips sold on eBay. No idea how to even remove it. I do know that there is something loose behind that retainer and it does appear to be some kind of bearing.

Anyone have any idea or references would greatly help. I’ve already taken it to a repair shop and they have no idea how to fix it, except to replace the entire steering column.

Thanks in advance.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever find out? I'm in the same boat on a 2005 Expedition EB, considering to just buy a used steering column from a junkyard and refurbish that on the bench, as I have to take it apart to figure out whats needed and I cant be without the truck for the weeks it takes to order parts for it.... :)

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a used assembly off eBay. Looked it over. Then got a big azz dead blow mallet and smacked the original shaft back down into its home. That tightened it back up and took almost all the slop out of it. Seems people “pull” on the steering wheel getting into the vehicle, and after many years of that it works the column out of its original home and allows that slop that you see as up/down movement or play. Give it a try and post your results. Worst case is you end up pulling one from a junkyard or eBay.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the slop is not due to bad bearings? Hmm, I might give that a try, it's not binding or anything, very smooth in steering, just that slop that is getting annoying.

Gilles Boudreau

Reaction score
I have a 2003 expedition with that same steering issue. The factory does not make a bearing kit but I found that the bearing was not falling apart as expexted. all I saw was 1/8 play between the clip and the bearing. anothe thing that comes into play is the steel bracket that goes in the 3 screw holes for the clock spring. I took a 10 cent garden hose hard seal. it is 1/8 hard plastic not the rubber. cut a small piece off to open up the ring and force it between the clip and bearing. I actually used 2 garden hose seals to do that shaft. When the steel bracket goes back on it holds the new spacer in place. Then put everything back to normal and the in and out loose steering is back to feeling like new. 10 cents is all that took to fix. I just happen to have a bunch left over from my shop. I searched for the answer to this steering column everywhere for the last 3 years. I even bought a used column but that was shortly after no good. Now everything is back to tight and feeling like new. So guys stop searching for parts and get creative on a small spacer between the clip and the bearing. Do not take that clip off as you will lose the shaft. I should have taken pictures but this one will make sence to everyone who deals with this steering column issue

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze