Losing my mind and my key fob!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Well I think I’m finally “losing it”.

I know I had my keys at one point after locking the car but now they are mia. Turned the house upside down because I had a bunch of ‘toy’ keys that will now have to be resolved.
I’m sure they will show up someday or they fell into a crevasse in the garage of a trash bag that went to the dump and are gone forever.

In any case:

1)what’s the protocol for ordering another ?

2) isn’t there an ingenious kid that has developed a fob finder? If the expedition can sense it surely an after market device can?

Post script: ordered an Apple airtag to ensure this last key fob doesn’t walk away from me :)

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I think I’m finally “losing it”.

I know I had my keys at one point after locking the car but now they are mia. Turned the house upside down because I had a bunch of ‘toy’ keys that will now have to be resolved.
I’m sure they will show up someday or they fell into a crevasse in the garage of a trash bag that went to the dump and are gone forever.

In any case:

1)what’s the protocol for ordering another ?

2) isn’t there an ingenious kid that has developed a fob finder? If the expedition can sense it surely an after market device can?

Post script: ordered an Apple airtag to ensure this last key fob doesn’t walk away from me :)

Year, make, model, type of ignition (key or intelligent fob)?

Did you lose your keys or your fob (or both)?

A Ford dealer can cut new keys based upon the VIN and proof of your ownership. A Ford dealer can program one or more intelligent key fobs to the vehicle, with the vehicle proof of ownership.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have one intelligent access key, the dealer can program a second key. If you have none, all replacement keys must be deleted and programmed at the same time. If you have two keys somewhere you can program a third yourself. To purchase a replacement, check the tiny key code on the case, where the physical key comes out.

All of the above refers to the intelligent access key that comes with the push to start vehicles. Dealer prices for programming vary. I called seven dealerships to get the lowest price. I think it was $70. Forscan can do it as well, but you run the risk of bricking something. If you find your key, I suggest getting enough copies to have three on hand, this way if one goes missing you can program a replacement yourself. Good luck.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Wow great info both of you!

This is a 2020 Expedition with a smart key that doesn’t contain a hidden key (I don’t believe).

We were only given two to begin with so now down to one

I’ll contact the dealer and get a new one programmed. Sure wish there was a Rec solution to find the lost FOB - where I would find a bundle of other keys I need!
Thanks mucho

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Relax, you have one key fob, the rest is a piece of cake AND you are home!

I lost mine in Dollywood, finding out at the end of a long day when I was exhausted, 600 miles from home......life can get "complicated" sometimes...LOL

My friend Train is right, order a new one and the old one will show up...........

jeff

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So once you have two factory programed keys you can then get aftermarket keys and fobs and program your own. I always leave my two factory keys at home and carry my aftermarket keys. Permanently solves the lost key ripoff factory replacement issue. Just a friendly suggestion.

Tuck

Reaction score
Wow great info both of you!

This is a 2020 Expedition with a smart key that doesn’t contain a hidden key (I don’t believe).

We were only given two to begin with so now down to one

I’ll contact the dealer and get a new one programmed. Sure wish there was a Rec solution to find the lost FOB - where I would find a bundle of other keys I need!
Thanks mucho
The key is hidden in the fob. On the end where the key ring is there will be a small button on the side of the fob. Push that in and pull at the same time and the key ring portion will come off with the key underneath.