Loss of Acceleration & Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luis Gomez

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine at 130,000 mile. if you lightly hit the gas pedal it will will accelerate but as soon as you try to "gun it" then it would hesitate almost would start pulse like the transmission was slipping. On idle it was fine. I decided on doing full plug and coil replacement problem was solved but I can tell you the original plus were gone gap was out of tolerance and the electrode on some of the plugs seems complete burn out. not a hard job to do yourself if you handy with a wrench just make sure you vacuum around the plugs first to prevent any debri getting into the engine and torque down the new plugs. the rear ones are the hardest to reach.

OP
OP
B

BluBlocker

Reaction score
Thanks Adieu...I thought I was going crazy!

Montauksummer...did you ever figure out what the problem was? Did you end up changing the coils?

OP
OP
B

BluBlocker

Reaction score
Thanks Luis...I think I'll replace the coils too while I'm in there. I'm really hoping this will solve the problem. If it doesn't, it was due for plugs (and probably coils) too. Need to save up one more paycheck though. I'd rather pay more for Motorcraft.

member11

Reaction score
Afaik, once you get the break-ey 07-08 original plugs out the first time around, there's absolutely no need to spend $300 labor on a simple procedure the second time around

You're absolutely right, but I couldn't convince/assure any other mechanic that the first set had already been replaced. No one would touch it for less than $400 so I figured I'd rather it be done by someone with experience. The local Ford dealer was the lowest quote I received. The original dealer gave me a quote for $780 lol.

OP
OP
B

BluBlocker

Reaction score
I know...I'm tired of adjusting my driving habits. I want it to get up and go when I press on the gas!

Kevin_Destrozado

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my '07. I had the spark plugs changed for a 2nd time just before 200k miles. The job ($370) was done at a Ford dealership using Motocraft plugs. Performance improved slightly but new plugs did not resolve the problem.

Change the coils. The coils in those Expeditions go bad. I had the same thing on my 05, changed the coils, no problem since.

member11

Reaction score
Change the coils. The coils in those Expeditions go bad. I had the same thing on my 05, changed the coils, no problem since.

Thanks Kevin, I'll give that a try. I will note that it's a different feel than a misfire. I had an '03 before this one that had quite a few coils go bad, and it didn't have quite the same symptoms as OP posted/my '07 does. Couldn't hurt to try it though

OP
OP
B

BluBlocker

Reaction score
I ordered the plugs today...hope to order the coils after my next paycheck! The powertrain complaint is interesting. when it first started happening, I considered the transmission, but after paying attention to the different situations, I'm pretty sure my situation is fuel or spark.