Loud humming sound under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCW94

Reaction score
In the morning when we unlock our Expedition with the key fob, there is a loud weird humming sound that comes from under the hood. Is there an actuator or a pump that could be cycling on before start up?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the morning when we unlock our Expedition with the key fob, there is a loud weird humming sound that comes from under the hood. Is there an actuator or a pump that could be cycling on before start up?
Welcome to the forum.

Describe your Expy...year, trim, options, etc....

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If equipped with air leveling rear suspension, I'd speculate the noise is the compressor, located below'ish the passenger headlight. Not uncommon for a little deflation on cold overnights.

OP
OP
M

MCW94

Reaction score
No air suspension. To me it sounds like when you turn the key to accessory and the motor starts getting primed to start, but its a lot louder

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2007 EL Eddie Bauer the things that are energized when I hit unlock on the remote fob are headlights (if dusk) and memory features are enabled so mirrors and seat/pedals move to set point if their position was changed last ignition cycle. Not sure what else energizes when you hit unlock besides these items. Possible your adjustable pedals are stuck and trying to move maybe?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you have a Relay buzzing in the under hood distribution box. Here is one humming on a 2007 F-150 but on the interior box.....however both boxes have these relays.