Loud noise when it starts up in the morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jstekk

Reaction score
I have like a clicking or ticking type of noise is fairly loud but it's not as loud as it was before I got a full pulley system replacement with belt. I am hoping that it's something simple like just tightening up the exhaust manifold because if it's loose and there's a space where exhaust can come out it might be making a loud noise. Can anyone confirm that it's the exhaust manifold being partially loose and just hanging there? I do have an exhaust rattle that sounds like it's bumping up against the frame intermittent times sometimes it's extremely annoying it's fairly loud. That might be evidence thet it's loose around the manifold. Also one of the cylinders I think is out because I'm trying to put head gasket sealant in there, and so I think one of the cylinders is only firing about 60%-80% when I first start it up. Low and behold I think that's the way that it is making all the noise because it's not firing all the way until it's warmed up. It's just shoving whatever it's got, right out the hole cold and that would seemingly cause whole bunch of noise from the mixture hitting the top of the exhaust port directly adjacent to the manifold. It's like hitting a tarp with a bit of liquid in the bottom of a cup, it makes a noise when the liquid hits the tarp. So if anybody has any ideas what this noise is I can post a video and you can hear it. Please help thank you for your time.

(P.s. I'm pretty decent at math but if guess is correct the noise happens about three times per second, that coincides with the idle speed.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jstekk

Jstekk

Reaction score
Plus it goes away after it gets warmed up and I think that's further evidence that it's that cylinder that's throwing a little bit of coolant out of it and whatever gas is going into it, because once the truck heats up and gets operating temperature that coolant that gas is just going to melt like butter and not really make a bunch of noise when it slaps against all the walls of the head when it comes out the exhaust hole cuz I don't think the manifold is secure. So I'm wondering if you can help me. Thank you for all your time.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing that springs to mind, is phasers. Not sure what year/model you have, but the phasers are suppose to be very noisy when you first start up and then get quieter after a few seconds (this is when the phasers are failing). As you dont describe the noise it’s hard to say, but that would be my first guess.

OP
OP
Jstekk

Jstekk

Reaction score
I tried to put a video recording of the noise when I first started it up, but the form wouldn't let me if you give me your email I can send you a video. Also do you know how to get an Eddie Bauer edition 329 in fuel filter for 2003 expedition? ... Because the fuel filter that I got from AutoZone was too small to go into the brackets, and now I'm in limbo about that. The leads were smaller than the ones that's on my truck. I need a fuel filter please help!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to put a video recording of the noise when I first started it up, but the form wouldn't let me if you give me your email I can send you a video. Also do you know how to get an Eddie Bauer edition 329 in fuel filter for 2003 expedition? ... Because the fuel filter that I got from AutoZone was too small to go into the brackets, and now I'm in limbo about that. The leads were smaller than the ones that's on my truck. I need a fuel filter please help!

You should include your engine size. The Motorcraft fuel filter should be available for your vehicle (which would be a perfect fit and correct).

OP
OP
Jstekk

Jstekk

Reaction score
Thank you so much for answering me. I'm very concerned about getting the correct size AutoZone didn't have any action. My engine is actually not a normal 5.4 L 329ci. It's an Eddie Bauer edition which causes it to have a dual overhead cam, 19 miles per gallon in town and 23-24 miles per gallon highway. It also gives it 275 horsepower. I use the micrometer to measure it, (the AutoZone filter), because it was a bit small. I need something thicker than that on all three pole leads.

P.s. the AutoZone fuel filter for the 5.4 L was a bit small... on the micrometer it measured 3 increments(length reading) and 75 increments (dial reading)for the small one and the two large ones were 3 increments(length readings) and 35 increments(dial reading). Not sure if y'all can understand that but, hopefully. Lol.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you so much for answering me. I'm very concerned about getting the correct size AutoZone didn't have any action. My engine is actually not a normal 5.4 L 329ci. It's an Eddie Bauer edition which causes it to have a dual overhead cam, 19 miles per gallon in town and 23-24 miles per gallon highway. It also gives it 275 horsepower. I use the micrometer to measure it, (the AutoZone filter), because it was a bit small. I need something thicker than that on all three pole leads.

P.s. the AutoZone fuel filter for the 5.4 L was a bit small... on the micrometer it measured 3 increments(length reading) and 75 increments (dial reading)for the small one and the two large ones were 3 increments(length readings) and 35 increments(dial reading). Not sure if y'all can understand that but, hopefully. Lol.

I believe this is the correct Motorcraft fuel filter: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-2L1Z-9155-AA-FILTER-ASY-FUEL/dp/B000NRZTKG

(I have no connection to Amazon).