LT Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lurch

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading to LT tires to improve towing performance. There do not appear to be many options in the LT275/55R20 range other than a couple AT tires. Towing wore down my stock Hankook ATs pretty fast so I was hoping to get a more road-focused LT to also improve wear.

Curious if anyone else has gone this same route?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I upgraded from Hankooks to Cooper Discoverer XLT. Great tire. Improved handling, improved towing, not noisy and worked well in snow. My truck handled like crap above 75 miles per hour. With the Coopers it's been rock solid above that speed. I would recommend the upgrade to anyone that tows. The only other tire I considered was the Yokohama G015, but discount tire keeps the Coopers on hand. I didn't like the "D" tires because the treads looked like they would be noiser and more off-road oriented. I was more concerned with towing and on-road performance.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are looking for more road than off-road tires, Michelin LTX’s are a popular choice in a few of the RV places I visit online. They recommend them for both your TV and trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lurch
'D' is the load rating. I run an 'E' rating but I do not tow much. Much stronger tire.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with Michelin LTX AT2 LT275/65R18 (be careful - they make a non-LT version as well with much lower load rating, fewer plies, etc.). I have the same improvements that JasonH mentions above. Really happy with the improved stability while towing, especially when aired up to 55 psi. Just did my first winter on them and they are really good (only so-so on slick ice though).
Mileage took about 1/2 - 1 mpg hit.
I had a lot of trouble selling the Michelin Primacy tires - they had about 65% tread left, got almost nothing for them.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran the Michelin LT tires on my truck before I sold it, and LOVED them. I had the Firestone Transtar AT tires on my Expy. They were an excellent towing tire, and wore really well, but rode pretty rough. When I replaced them, I went with the Firestone Destination AT's (only because I couldn't afford to go back to the Michelins) because I was told they were E rated tires. I found out the first time I hooked up the trailer, they are NOT E rated tires. After an extensive discussion Firestone, I'm stuck with them until I can find a decent deal on the Michelins. I really don't want to go back to the Transtars unless I have to but apparently E rated tires for these things are limited.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of folks like a LT tire not designed for an SUV let alone the Expedition but for a light truck. I tried them for a couple of days and got rid of them. If I wanted the harsh ride of a pickup, I would drive a pickup. The proper OEM size tire tire can be aired up to 44psi to give the stiffer side wall ride while towing as designed.