LT Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of folks like a LT tire not designed for an SUV let alone the Expedition but for a light truck. I tried them for a couple of days and got rid of them. If I wanted the harsh ride of a pickup, I would drive a pickup. The proper OEM size tire tire can be aired up to 44psi to give the stiffer side wall ride while towing as designed.

The vehicle does double-duty hauling people and towing. Even at 51 psi the OEM tire sucked while towing. My experience is that the sacrifice in ride comfort, which I was concerned about before upgrading, is not substantial. The truck had poor handling and stability on the OEM tires, even with elevated pressure. Plus, the additional puncture resistance in combination with the other benefits is worth the sacrifice. But of course, to each his own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lurch

Reaction score
I am going to get a set of 18" wheels as there are a lot of LT options in 275/65R18 that come on the XLT and XL trim. They also have more sidewall to ease the unladen ride with lower pressures.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to get a set of 18" wheels as there are a lot of LT options in 275/65R18 that come on the XLT and XL trim. They also have more sidewall to ease the unladen ride with lower pressures.

Some tire shops will let you return tires if you're dissatisfied. I think Discount Tire does this. I would call around and inquire as to whether any local shops have any sort of liberal return policy that would let you run the tires for a week at a reduced cost. Tires of this class are a substantial cost, so it would make sense to get a trial before committing to years of ownership. Especially if you're considering dropping coin for new rims.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
I'm running Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country tires and they are great -- 2005 Expedition used for pulling a 30', 7000# camper. Uniroyal was bought out by Michelin many years ago, so consider it a slightly lower priced Michelin. 60K warranty. I'll probably have toe replace these from dry rot before wearing out, as I only drive my Expy 3-4K a year -- mainly pulling 30' 7000# camper 2-3 times a year, then running at least once a month for maintenance. So they should last me 10 years.

I was running a Crosswind (cheap Chinese tire) on my work truck from NTB. Has a 50K warranty, but I was only getting 25-30K from them. Second set they gave me a free front end alignment since it was over 50% tread wear. Third time I went somewhere else and bought a better tire. The point is the tread wear rating may not mean much, and you get hardly any discount as long as it goes over the 50% point. Other tire manufacturers and retailers may be better...

montcopo

Reaction score
I bought Cooper LT Highway tires. Very smooth, quiet ride. Decent mud and snow traction for a non-all terrain tire. Got them at Pep Boys for 99.00 apiece

Reaction score
I have Yokahama Geolanders on mine and love them. You can air them up to 80psi when towing then bring them back down to 40psi when not keeps the ride comfortable. They are very reasonably priced at America's Tire / Discount Tire store.

Last edited:

tmmilam

Reaction score
I appreciate the peace of mind that my Defender LTX "E" rated tires give me. On a 7500 mile trip from Tennessee to California and back I didn't worry about them through deserts and mountains and everything in between (including some very rough roads). And yes they do have a rougher ride.