LT verus P tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am doing early research on replacement tires for my 2017. Not looking for brand wars, but on similar load capacity and model of tire, what's the noticeable difference between P tires and LT tires? The P tires would be XL versus LT tires of Load E. I do have a 5,800# empty / 7,500# loaded travel trailer that I tow a dozen times a year <200 miles each way.

Here's an example for easier reference - again, not a brand war.P tire vs LT tire.JPG

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience, the LT tire will be tougher. It’s going to wear longer and have a stiffer sidewall (thus the higher load capacity). But it’s going to ride harsher.

I have load range E tires on my 1st gen. I don’t tow but I do get offroad occasionally.

OP
OP
C

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience, the LT tire will be tougher. It’s going to wear longer and have a stiffer sidewall (thus the higher load capacity). But it’s going to ride harsher.

I have load range E tires on my 1st gen. I don’t tow but I do get offroad occasionally.

ExplorerTom, are you saying that I should expect more miles out of LT tires versus P tires? That could offset the slightly higher price for the LT tires.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't think wear has any relation to LT vs P. Only tread wear rating. Of course is all the LTs have better numbers then...there ya go.

LTs often have a better square cut look to them. I like.!!

Check on the load rating. I don't think you need an E.

Even Excursion factory came with only D I think and it was a beast.

Each one will list max load.
I think a D or E is a good deal higher load than a XL P tire but the numbers would tell you.

E are 10 ply and typically (all that I've seen) max inflation of 80 psi. I'm not running an E around out 35 PSI but that's a whole other debate. BUT an E could very well ride harsher than a P tire. They do have a lot more strength and stiffness going on in there.

Plati

Reaction score
I've gone to the Light Truck version of tires for a couple of reasons (vs P). Run Falken Wildpeak on my 2003 and Kumho Road Venture on my 2014 at the moment. I have found them to be slightly louder than my P tires but that could just a result of increased tread depth. They might have a slightly harsher ride but no biggie. I may not even be able to detect that, not sure. The LT tires always have deeper tread depth than P so that's a reason to go there. They are 10 ply (or the equivalent of 10 ply since there really aren't all those plys anymore) and have tougher sidewalls. That's good off road if you scrub a rock and it cuts the sidewall. The LT's will be more resistant to that. Main design goal with LT's is the increased weight they can support. If you load up 250 bags of free compost in the bed of your Expy that's a lot of weight on the tire and LT's can handle that load. But to make that work you have to inflate the tire to a higher pressure. In fact, even with no extra weight you are supposed to run a higher pressure. There are tables to determine that. I run about 46 psi in mine all the time. I'm not a tow guy but from what I read you don't need LT's to tow although it can't hurt can it? After two Expo's with LT … I see no downside … from my own personal experience.

For example those Cooper Discoverer AT tires
- the P version is 14/32" tread depth
- the LT version is 17/32" tread depth

So, common sense says it will wear longer … since it got more tread to wear through.

Double check anything I say , not an expert !!!

Last edited:

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you do not tow more often it might be better to simply use tires that Ford suggests for your vehicle and increase pressures when you do tow. My old tires were factory and I increased pressure when towing our camper. At first I blamed tires for being blown around when passed but I adjusted the weight distribution hitch and sway control to compensate. I put weight more evenly on the two vehicles tires, made sure camper tires were aired right and camper was level. That helped a lot. I still noticed some blow by when passed so I went to heavier duty tires. Still had some blow by so I think my imagination was going wild since the "new tires" did not make that much improvement. My next set of tires will be for riding comfort most of the time since towing is not done so often.

But then again your mileage may differ according to your driving style. Safe travels.

Edited to add: The heavier duty tires did make the Expedition look better even if the ride was more harsh. What I ended up doing was reducing the pressure in the stronger tires. Seems to be similar acts to solve the problem. Use factory tires and increase pressure to tow, or reduce pressure in stronger tires to make for more comfortable ride other times. Seems there was not one simple solution to the problem. Towing is not going to be the same as going alone regardless of what I did.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The light truck tire wouldn't hurt anything except for a slightly more agressive ride. Never hurts to over compensate on any part on your vehicle. Back in the late 80's I was peddling tires for the old Montgomery Ward. We carried the BF Goodrich LT tires. One vehicle, the Volkswagen Vanagon used reinforced Michelin X tires due to their weight of vehicle with all the heavy camping stuff. When a customer didn't or couldn't wait, we'd pop on 4 of the Lt 195/75/14 Goodrich tires. Never a complaint or comeback. Our work truck 1997 Dodge 1500, we used for hauling Harley's, up to 6 with trailer, used same TA tires. I'd say go for them. They worked well for us.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Please don't take this wrong but only a fool installs P-rated tires on a vehicle of this weight.

You'll save money but when it counts the most, odds are, you'll pay with your life.