LT verus P tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The LT will be far superior to the P rated tire, period.

That, I agree on. It will be superior at least to some degree in certain parameters.
We are talking load right? not traction, ride, etc...

My point is that hardly anyone NEEDS a superior tire than what the vehicle is spec'd for from the factory.
If a person has a truck and never even nears the load rating of the tires on it (which is the vast majority of owners) then they don't need a superior tire.

This is a numeric fact.

If one has a preference to overkill, that is their preference, but it does not make it a need or even a good idea for others.
It could be waste for them.
Like putting a class 3 receiver if you only pull a 4x8 metal trailer.
You personally might say why not have more capacity if you ever decide to tow more? Logical, bu their decision. I am not going to tell them they are crazy or wrong or unsafe to do so.
But that is probably apples to oranges again to you. You sure are hung up on fruits.

If I had noticed your sig earlier I would have seen that you like overkill and customization.
Should everyone "improve" their lighting and lift up their truck even if they don't need it?
Peaches to nectarines??? Different strokes for different folks but if all within specs...all are factually safe.
BTW nitrogen in tires is a big sales gimmick joke too. They can argue back and forth all day but in approx 99.88% of time, the only difference is slightly less air loss over time. Good condition tires and rims lose very little pressure anyway so N is never needed...just a personal preference or push or add on from a tire place.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
There is an adage that I always apply to vehicles and every single part I replace, add, or modify on them.

"It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

As I stated originally. At that critical moment, when lives are at stake, and extreme evasive maneuvers have been taken, those 10 plies will be an absolute unequivocal asset that can make the difference between live or die.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is your philosophy and fine to be that way.
At a critical moment upgraded parts or tires MAY be an asset. You can't prove or substantiate that they will be when standard recommended parts provide satisfactory results millions of times and for such a high percentage.
To err on the side of safety is personal preference and those who choose to only meet the recommended requirements are not doing anything wrong.
I can certainly see how I bet experience could alter someone's view on certain items in the future.
I have never had any Tire related failures. I did have a tire that I believe will started to have a zipper failure one time on a load range e Michelin. I heard it making noise while adding a little are to it and decided to replace it because it did have some checkering and small cracks on the side. Now if that tire would have exploded on me I would probably never forget that every time I was putting air in a tire and might start telling people you should always put a tire in a cage before inflating it.... but that wouldn't mean there's that there's really any reason factually, numerically, or statistically for people to put every Tire in a cage before adding air to them.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never seen personally an explosion while inflating. We did have a Bridgestone blow it's bead while the tech was mounting a new one. Scary hand grenade loud pow! We all ran out to the shop, luckily he was ok, just shaken up. Cages for mounting truck wheels with split rims is a must have. The horrible personal injuries from not having that safety cage is not something anyone wants to experience. Amputated arms, legs, not something you ever want to experience. Still amazes me how many individuals still try and gamble with those split rims, without the protective cage.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen the videos, very scary.
I don't think it's only split rims. Many places air up all semi trucks in a cage.
I think maybe the theory that a new or just mounted tire could be defective or damaged and more likely to blow on first inflation after mounting. If you are just adding air....if it were that bad it would have probably blown on the way to get there.

Popping over a bead is bad but I think a sidewall zipper blow is even worse.

I'm not sure mine had one coming but it was 5-6+ years old and on a vehicle that sits outside and only moves once a week sometimes less. Load range E that I ran 72 in. It kept getting down to 40-42 all the time. When adding air I heard a creaking sound with slight popping like squeezing the shipping peanuts. I heard it last two air ups then I replaced it.
had great tread but some cracking near bead on sidewall.

That vehicle carries a lot of weight when it does move so I couldnt risk a blowout.