lube or not...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Ford doesn't include them anymore cuz guess what? They want to sell you parts. Problem is, by the time you need them, Ford's already discontinued them from their parts Dept. We end up with Moog, or some aftermarket brand. Luckily Moog, and some top ones, are decent quality.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Soon as I found out Moog manufacturing many parts for my truck in Mexico I stopped buying their parts.

I went w Spicer which is made in ‘Merica and I liked having zirk fittings. When they failed prematurely I went back to sealed motorcraft.

They have lasted 3 years so far and not a squeak.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a whole lot of parts that compare with the old Moog quality anymore.
I get the Tread Saver or whatever house brand O'Reilly or Advance has with lifetime warranty.
The almost always have zerk fittings and I haven't had one wear out yet.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See what happens when you want a part you bought 20 years ago, for the same price or close. The only way is to make it in China. Somethings got to give. It's too bad you can't put a zerk fitting in a Ford part. Is that possible, I don't think so, any machinest out there done that?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The original, non-zerk steering parts last just as long as the zerk. The polyester/nylon joint needs little lube. Hitting potholes and curbs is what speeds up the failures. Minimum wage, grease monkeys, would over fill and pop the old boots. This would expose it, to dirt and water. They sell a grease 'needle' to add grease, without a fitting.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you could but the rest of material quality is so low compared to old stuff that even if you greased it often I doubt you would see any noticeable increase in life. But like I said, i replace each part as the original wears out ans don't find myself replacing any of my replacements.

I have added a zerk to a riding mower spindle that didn't have them.
Lots of arguments about the bearings being sealed or open etc as to where it will do any good at all and oy have to put about 1/2 a tube of grease to get it to the bearings it seems.
You could certainly replace the bearings too and add the zerk....BUT here we are..with new spindle assemblies coming from ebay for a two pack for 27.00. If they last half as long as the originals (the mower should fall apart by then) who cares.
And if they don't have a zerk (some new cheap ones do, some don't ----they know it's a marketing feature whether it has any benefit at all) you will save money on grease and time pump pump pumping.

Olivy

Reaction score
Checked the manual on our 2015 and if you have 4wd it states:

Inspect front axle and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.

Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, driveshaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.

So take a look under your expy, it may have them. Our 2011 f-250 has grease fittings on the front axle but you have to turn the wheels to reach them.