Maintenance questions on just purchased '12 Expedition w/ 102k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
Just purchased a '12 Expedition Limited 4WD with the 5.4L Triton V8 and 102K miles. Unfortunately it didn't come with any service records other than the very vague Carfax maintenance entries.

Tried searching the forums but couldn't come up with any definitive answers to a few questions:

1. the service intervals in the maintenance section of the manual don't say anything about timing chain replacement. Should I be worried about anything timing chain-related at 105K (or ever, for that matter)?

2. the green text display on the dash is really dim, and barely readable during the daytime (especially in sunlight). Is that just the way these things are, or is there a way to brighten the display? The dash brightness wheel to the left of the steering wheel only adjusts the dash lighting itself, not the display.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t even be thinking about a timing chain at 105k forget that thought and keep it out of your head lol. Are your headlights on during the day? If the sun load Sensor is covered it will dim the display to nighttime brightness.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you can swap the dash backlights to LED, it's on my to-do list

Timing chains aren't timing belts, and generally only get replaced routinely if they screwed up the design

OP
OP
T

texevora

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So is it accurate to say that the 5.4L Triton has a timing chain that should last the life of the motor?

I keep reading about cam phasing issues and replacing all the timing-related parts. Does the 2012 Expy not have these issues? If I'm not hearing clicking/tapping noises, do I have nothing to worry about?

Adieu, tried searching just for a DIY on converting dash backlighting to LED and came up emptyhanded. If you happen to have a link I'd be interested in reading the thread... The green backlighting makes the car look like it's from the 80s.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did pretty much the same thing in June!

I bought it with 175k km (108k miles) and have since put on about 13k km (cross-country road trips) and I just put about $350 into scheduled maintenance.
  • Change air filter
  • Change coolant
  • Replace spark plugs/boots
I was also due for an oil change, so I put in some Mobil 1 5w-20 and a new Motorcraft filter. These were all the big items that were on the maintenance schedule… air filter at 90k miles, plugs at 97.5k, coolant at 105k. The air filter may have been done as scheduled but it was a piece of junk CarQuest filter, the Motorcraft is way better. Plugs definitely weren't done, and the coolant was looking pretty pinkish, not the dark orange that it is now.

She's ready for another 6000km, which I'm gonna put on her next week!

Of note, I did have a minor phaser sound and some hesitation before I changed the oil. I checked with the mechanic that did the oil last, and they put conventional 5w-20 in instead of synthetic or even synthetic blend! With the new, nice oil, it runs much better and no more phaser sound. It does have REALLY loud injectors, though.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So is it accurate to say that the 5.4L Triton has a timing chain that should last the life of the motor?

I keep reading about cam phasing issues and replacing all the timing-related parts. Does the 2012 Expy not have these issues? If I'm not hearing clicking/tapping noises, do I have nothing to worry about?

Adieu, tried searching just for a DIY on converting dash backlighting to LED and came up emptyhanded. If you happen to have a link I'd be interested in reading the thread... The green backlighting makes the car look like it's from the 80s.

1) There's an F150 video and probably Superduty videos too... since the dash on a 3rd gen is a blend of reused F150 and Superduty solutions....

2) Amazon goes so far as to recommend a specific bulb. They're usually (although NOT always) right. I added a packet of em to an order that was short of the $35 to feee shipping and got like 60 LED bulbs (6 colors 10 ea I think?)...for like $8.99 or 12.99

Havent opened up the dash to check if their recommendation was correct yet, though.

This is what they said would fit:

1512066583887-872731209.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did pretty much the same thing in June!

I bought it with 175k km (108k miles) and have since put on about 13k km (cross-country road trips) and I just put about $350 into scheduled maintenance.
  • Change air filter
  • Change coolant
  • Replace spark plugs/boots
I was also due for an oil change, so I put in some Mobil 1 5w-20 and a new Motorcraft filter. These were all the big items that were on the maintenance schedule… air filter at 90k miles, plugs at 97.5k, coolant at 105k. The air filter may have been done as scheduled but it was a piece of junk CarQuest filter, the Motorcraft is way better. Plugs definitely weren't done, and the coolant was looking pretty pinkish, not the dark orange that it is now.

She's ready for another 6000km, which I'm gonna put on her next week!

Of note, I did have a minor phaser sound and some hesitation before I changed the oil. I checked with the mechanic that did the oil last, and they put conventional 5w-20 in instead of synthetic or even synthetic blend! With the new, nice oil, it runs much better and no more phaser sound. It does have REALLY loud injectors, though.

Coolant should be "ford gold" (or zerex g-05), which looks more like urine than "dark orange"...sounds like you got generic in the wrong spec, maybe???

5w20 was reputedly an emmissions-necessitated "choice" of recommendation, at least the "20" part... seems like plenty of people run Full Synth 5w30 and 5w40, as long as it's a 5w.

I've gone with Rotella T6 Diesel 5w40 last couple times, seems to quiet the motor down...possibly at the cost of 0.5mpg

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same rig I drive. I have 92,000 on mine and it feels like it's just getting broken in. The big service is the 95,000 mile tune up, which includes plugs and solenoids. Make sure that was done as scheduled. I'd bet someone who sold at 102K didn't do that service.

As for the dash LEDs, the little box of lights in the center of the console are two-phase. The bright phase is ok, but the dark phase is awful. I don't know that it's possible to do anything about it that works satisfactorily.

Fluids are weird in the '12. I can't remember exactly, but I think the front differential and the transfer case have synthetic but the rear differential is non-synthetic. It's just weird, but the service interval for those is forever.

Pete

Just purchased a '12 Expedition Limited 4WD with the 5.4L Triton V8 and 102K miles. Unfortunately it didn't come with any service records other than the very vague Carfax maintenance entries.

Tried searching the forums but couldn't come up with any definitive answers to a few questions:

1. the service intervals in the maintenance section of the manual don't say anything about timing chain replacement. Should I be worried about anything timing chain-related at 105K (or ever, for that matter)?

2. the green text display on the dash is really dim, and barely readable during the daytime (especially in sunlight). Is that just the way these things are, or is there a way to brighten the display? The dash brightness wheel to the left of the steering wheel only adjusts the dash lighting itself, not the display.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same rig I drive. I have 92,000 on mine and it feels like it's just getting broken in. The big service is the 95,000 mile tune up, which includes plugs and solenoids. Make sure that was done as scheduled. I'd bet someone who sold at 102K didn't do that service.

As for the dash LEDs, the little box of lights in the center of the console are two-phase. The bright phase is ok, but the dark phase is awful. I don't know that it's possible to do anything about it that works satisfactorily.

Fluids are weird in the '12. I can't remember exactly, but I think the front differential and the transfer case have synthetic but the rear differential is non-synthetic. It's just weird, but the service interval for those is forever.

Pete

Solenoids? What solenoids??

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It's just the opposite. The rear diff is synthetic and lubed for life, no service required, unless it's ever submerged in water. The front diff and transfer case are included in the 150k mile service, along with the transmission fluid/filter.

Solenoids? What solenoids??

That's what I was gonna say!