Major fluid leak from right rear passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Roth

Reaction score
Looks like the rear diff and you had an axle seal blow out. Probably gear oil (is it thick motor oil like and stinky?) You should be able to drive 20 miles to the mechanic just fine, just don't do it with your camper in tow.

Also if it is indeed the rear diff, have them check the vent for the differential. It should not be blowing out like that on a 2017. It is supposed to allow the unit to breath when it heats up and cools down and my guess is when it got real hot when towing it wasn't able to vent and blew out the seal.

All in all it is not a major issue, just annoying. Good luck!

crazyjerry

Reaction score
mine was leaking also from the rear, i put my finger in it and is was cold, i look up and saw the drain for the rear ac unit.

Gumbyalso

Reaction score
I'm with Andrew. I blew up the picture and I think it's a rear differential seal as well. That's not water. And I agree no towing a only a short drive until you get it fixed.

OP
OP
C

cbbco

Reaction score
Had it towed to Kalispell, turns out it was a blown rear axle seal. Repair was covered under the power train warranty.

Shop had it from Monday - Friday waiting for parts to come in. Picked up the Expy last night and hoping for an uneventful trip home.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That looks like a cv joint where it goes into the rear diff. Axle seal leak. Check rear diff fluid and also check the vent to make sure it's not plugged. That's usually what cause seal leaks.

Plati

Reaction score
That looks like a cv joint where it goes into the rear diff. Axle seal leak. Check rear diff fluid and also check the vent to make sure it's not plugged. That's usually what cause seal leaks.
what vent?
where is the vent?
my 2003XLT leaks … if it might be a vent I want to check that

it only leaks at highway speed, but always does

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On 4 wheel drive vehicles,it's a fitting on the top of the diff with a rubber hose that runs up to the frame with a plastic cap on it. Allows pressure out and keeps dirt out. If it gets plugged,pressure finds the path of least resistance,the axle seal or in extreme cases,the pinion seal. Do you top up your diff fluid if yours is constantly leaking?

Plati

Reaction score
On 4 wheel drive vehicles,it's a fitting on the top of the diff with a rubber hose that runs up to the frame with a plastic cap on it. Allows pressure out and keeps dirt out. If it gets plugged,pressure finds the path of least resistance,the axle seal or in extreme cases,the pinion seal. Do you top up your diff fluid if yours is constantly leaking?
Thx

It only leaks at highway speed. I topped it off once after I determined it was leaking. Now monitoring leak on one side. 2003XLT.

update:
I found hose (goes straight up). Yes it was plugged and I cleared with a deck screw.
That would be cool if leak now stops! Still could be plugged down at base of hose I guess.
IMG_0863.JPG

I think I pushed the plug crap IN. Oops. If I did it again I would bend the tube DOWN and squeeze pushing crap out not down into tube! Live_and_learn.

Last edited: