map/dome light fix needed, 2003 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Herb

Reaction score
Why can't I find ANY INFORMATION on the map (or is it dome?) lights ANYWHERE?? The lights are on each side of the console in front of the moon roof on my 2003 EB.
Not only is the fitting broken, I can't even seem to find a spec on what bulb to use!
Please help!
THANKS in advance :) 20180722_170019.jpg 20180722_165804.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Herb, this an easy one. The console pops right down after removing a few screws. The bulbs are listed on every website, rock auto had them under map light. For what it's worth I'd buy the bulbs from Ford. Price is the same as the better Sylvanias, and last way longer. Looks like the #912 bulb that I use in my 3rd brake light, but I could be wrong. The overhead has a couple of screws, and theirs a tab that tucks into a piece that comes down from the roof. Easy peazy!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Herb

Reaction score
Thanks 1955moose
The bigger problem is that the socket itself is broken so the bulb won't stay in and there isn't enough of the broken copper contact left. I might just try to Jury rig it....

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get another socket, either tie wires and solder, then shrink wrap, or the cheating way, clip wires expose back 1/2 inch wire, use a couple of red crimp connectors. It's indoors, no corrosion worries, that's the way I'd do it. If dealer or parts store can't help, go by a pick and pull or equivalent, and snip off what you need. It's what I've always done over the years. Wrecking yards are good for you. Brings out the grunt in you. It's the male equivalent of a woman's shoe store!

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wrecking yards are good for you. Brings out the grunt in you. It's the male equivalent of a woman's shoe store!

That's great. Sometimes when I'm wondering how to take something apart in my truck, I go to the local U-pull and practice on pulling theirs first apart first. It's really allowed my to understand how my truck is put together

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not only that, its better to Snap their parts than yours. It's on the job training, with somebody else's parts to break.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW: In response to the OP's question, I replaced all my map lights with LED's. Been very happy with these. I know you have a broken socket, so it's not a straight plug and play type deal, but maybe instead of a new or junk yard socket you just solder in a led and call it done

Brian Beckers

Reaction score
I've got a similar question.... same year/model: 2003 Eddie Bauer.
My problem is the clear plastic part that covers the bulb is missing. Anyone know where I can find a replacement?
We only have one wrecking yard here and they don't have any 2'd gen Expeditions at all that I can scavenge.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score