Media bin drawer won’t stay open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So even when new I noticed the media bin drawer (the sliding door over the wireless charging station) in my 19 Platinum doesn’t like to stay open. It will lightly catch but it might be a second, several seconds, or when I hit a bump that causes the sliding door to close. Point being it won’t stay open. It seems to be worse in cold weather. Since we bought in November of 19 I figured I’d see how it behaved after a Summer of warm weather and wearing it in. No change. I have been putting off calling the dealer, I really am not looking forward to a tech ripping into the console. Something is ALWAYS messed up after working on...anything. Doesn’t matter if it’s Ford, Infiniti, Jeep...something is always “not right” when I get my vehicle back. But this is also really annoying. How much effort is it to fix this? Anyone know? If it requires ripping the console out I might just live with it. If it’s a simple job I’ll suffer the dealer.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So even when new I noticed the media bin drawer (the sliding door over the wireless charging station) in my 19 Platinum doesn’t like to stay open. It will lightly catch but it might be a second, several seconds, or when I hit a bump that causes the sliding door to close. Point being it won’t stay open. It seems to be worse in cold weather. Since we bought in November of 19 I figured I’d see how it behaved after a Summer of warm weather and wearing it in. No change. I have been putting off calling the dealer, I really am not looking forward to a tech ripping into the console. Something is ALWAYS messed up after working on...anything. Doesn’t matter if it’s Ford, Infiniti, Jeep...something is always “not right” when I get my vehicle back. But this is also really annoying. How much effort is it to fix this? Anyone know? If it requires ripping the console out I might just live with it. If it’s a simple job I’ll suffer the dealer.

I think it is pretty easy to get at. If you watch the procedure for installing the f150 drive mode memory, it shows you how to pop off the top of the console. I seem to remember that it is two more bolts towards the front of the tray to remove it.

About 8 months ago mine wasn’t sliding in and out freely. I thought it was the way I had my phone cable routed under the slider. It turned out that a screw had dropped into the sliding mechanism and was causing my issue. The upside is I found a better spot to route my phone cable into the dash.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the same problem since new. I just gave up since it's normally closed anyway. Though, on a long trip, it's nice to have it open for another place to put stuff. Let us know what happens!

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the same problem since new. I just gave up since it's normally closed anyway. Though, on a long trip, it's nice to have it open for another place to put stuff. Let us know what happens!

Had an appointment on Wednesday. Had to order a part. Today I went back for the repair. Took them an hour or so. Replaced JL1Z 7813594 BA. It’s the whole media bin itself. Seems to have solved the problem! My wireless charging pad seems to work better now too; my iPhone 12 Pro would often stop charging and then start again. The display would say there was an obstruction. I didn’t have it once on my drive home.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting! Thanks for the update. I'm taking mine in for service, so maybe I'll talk to them