Memory Seat/Mirror/Pedals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm new here. Hope I'm not duplicating a thread. We just bought a 2003 Eddie Bauer about 2 months ago and the Seat/Mirror/Pedals seem to have their own memory that we didn't program. LOL

Hey! It's an old car. I saw a video on YouTube of a similar situation with an Explorer that was caused by the "key In/Key Out" contact of the Ignition/Start switch. Given the price, I was willing to "shotgun" this. Another 30 minute job that takes several hours. What else is new?

Bottom line - No joy on this job. I'm beginning to suspect an insulation Rub Through on a wire somewhere. But where?

Has anyone had a similar experience and if you were able to correct it, what did you do?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome Bob, I have a 2000 with same set up. Mine does a wierd seat thing every once in a while. You might try pulling the negative on battery, then reconnect it. Then try reprogramming the seat memory, and pedals if need be. Try that first, before doing the ignition switch. You won't be out any $ if it doesn't work out, leave cable disconnected for about 30 minutes to clear memory of everything.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bob, I've been doing some more research as to the memerory problem for seats. The violet wire in the driver's kick panel seems to be a major problem like the others from 2 years back posted. Water gets in there and causes issues. Do you have a sunroof? The drains on them get plugged and cause water and gunk to get into lower areas causing shorts, and leaks. Also pull passenger side kick panel and be sure fuse box is dry. 2003 had a lot of fuse box problems, especially the fuel pump relay solder joints.

OP
OP
B

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
Bob, I've been doing some more research as to the memerory problem for seats. The violet wire in the driver's kick panel seems to be a major problem like the others from 2 years back posted. Water gets in there and causes issues. Do you have a sunroof? The drains on them get plugged and cause water and gunk to get into lower areas causing shorts, and leaks. Also pull passenger side kick panel and be sure fuse box is dry. 2003 had a lot of fuse box problems, especially the fuel pump relay solder joints.

Okay, 1955moose! I did see the one about the factory spliced Violet wire under the sill plate. I'll give a shot at that kick panel as soon as my tractor is back together. Got this for the wife who is a non-car, non-tech savvy gal.

I don't know what I would do if suff stopped breaking down! LOL

Luckily, no Sun Roof. Have had cars with hem and you're right. They turn out to be a pain.

Thanks so much for your reply!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries report your findings when you get a chance. And yeah even Toyotas break once in awhile.

OP
OP
B

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give you an update. I broke my shoulder on September 26 and have not been able to get back on the car. I'm hoping to do so in 3 or 4 weeks. Breaking a shoulder is NOT recommended!!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I'm going to hate myself for asking but how did you mess up your shoulder? At 72, tell me it wasn't sports!

OP
OP
B

Bob Lewis

Reaction score
I know I'm going to hate myself for asking but how did you mess up your shoulder? At 72, tell me it wasn't sports!

LOL !! No, I laid a potato truck over and broke my right shoulder. It was a crappy road and a guy who lives 1/4 mile from there said I was the 6th truck to go in 5 months. That did not make the damn thing any less painful, though.

OP
OP
B

Bob Lewis

Reaction score

Well, we just got the truck from the dealer on Wednesday. It's been too cold and with my tractor spread all over my shop, there was no place to work on it. It turned out to be some connector under the driver seat causing the problem. If I had found it, I would have attempted to repair it, but they got it going, the wife is very happy and therefore, I am happy! She just loves that truck! Next, an oil leak from the Front Engine cover. It never stops!

I did finally, get a no restrictions release on the shoulder, so things are looking up.