Memory Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife was using the car today and asked if it's normal that the driver seat returns to the #1 position each time she turns off the car - requiring her to push #2 each time she restarted? It seems odd they would use such logic, but then one dosen't have to look far to raise eyebrows about some of Ford Engineering logic.

Can anyone confirm whether this is normal or whether there is background setting that defeats auto return to driver position #1 with each power down? Thanks

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife was using the car today and asked if it's normal that the driver seat returns to the #1 position each time she turns off the car - requiring her to push #2 each time she restarted? It seems odd they would use such logic, but then one dosen't have to look far to raise eyebrows about some of Ford Engineering logic.

Can anyone confirm whether this is normal or whether there is background setting that defeats auto return to driver position #1 with each power down? Thanks
I am going to guess she is using your keyfob. In that case, Seat Position #1 is paired with that fob and every time the car starts up with that fob, it will revert to position #1. Try setting up the other fob for seat position #2 and have her try that one...I am going to bet it will always default to position #2 for her.

Linking a PreSet Position to your Remote Control or Intelligent Access Key Fob
Your vehicle can save the preset memory positions for up to three remote controls or intelligent access (IA) keys.
  1. With the ignition on, move the memory positions to the desired positions.
  1. Press and hold the desired preset button for about five seconds. A tone sounds after about two seconds. Continue holding until you hear a second tone.
  1. Within three seconds, press the lock button on the remote control you are linking.
To unlink a remote control, follow the same procedure – except in step 3, press the unlock button on the remote control.
Note: If more than one linked remote control or intelligent access key is in range, the memory function moves to the settings of the first key to recall a memory position.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I left my FOB in the house (about 30 feet away) and used her FOB as suggested. Upon start, it automatically moved to position #2. I held the #2 button down and after the two beeps immediately pressed the lock button on the FOB but, upon turning power off, it still returns to the #1 position.

I did subsequently find that section in the manual - thank you!

upload_2019-11-20_13-43-11.png

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I left my FOB in the house (about 30 feet away) and used her FOB as suggested. Upon start, it automatically moved to position #2. I held the #2 button down and after the two beeps immediately pressed the lock button on the FOB but, upon turning power off, it still returns to the #1 position.
Then I'm stumped.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score

Wait, I'm confused. If you left your FOB (tied to seat position #1) in the house and used her FOB and it automatically moved to seat position #2, then why did you do anything else after that? Why did you hold down the #2 button and reset it?

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait, I'm confused. If you left your FOB (tied to seat position #1) in the house and used her FOB and it automatically moved to seat position #2, then why did you do anything else after that? Why did you hold down the #2 button and reset it?

LOL... you're not the only one confused. It returns to position #1 regardless of which FOB is used. I tried the sequence suggested figuring that perhaps with only that key in range, and resetting position #2 (her seat position was originally set with my key), it would stop the return to #1 when the ignition is turned off.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps at all as we are totally different years but maybe it’s similar. The manual on mine says the positions for seat position 1 and seat position 2 are in relation to the fobs when programmed correctly. However if never done right it isn’t. The computer will put the seat position to which ever key is with (1 or 2) when you hit the unlock button on the fob. If the vehicle is already open and set to #1 it will default to setting #1 if I’m reading it correct. Did you try locking the truck and unlocking with her key fob? Also to program it to her key fob use hers to open truck then program again (possible it’s not done correctly).
40C0D036-EEE3-4656-8CF5-9FB4D3A3F554.jpeg

Last edited:

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the entry / exit setting. It is confusing y'all as your driver settings must be similar to the exit settings.
Check out the manual re: entry/ exit settings