Metal Trim Spots New 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brent Wahl

Reaction score
Just had the dealer detail our new White 2020 Max and it looks great. (Bought when dealer did not have staff to clean detail the new car)

Today I took the car out of the garage and decided to F11 Top Coat the rear of the SUV to protect the paint and metals. Most went well but I found many spots in the metal trim that I could not remove.

As most of the spots are on the rear and right rear side of the trim I assume the exhaust with poor metal coverage caused the sporting. I have not fully detailed the car myself so there could be other areas with spots but so far I have not notice as much as in the rear metal trim.

Car is garage and we do not live near the ocean, train tracks and car was sold from central Florida dealer.

Anyone else have such spots?

Any suggested fixes or does it need to be replaced by the dealer?

Thanks
upload_2020-6-12_9-13-17.jpegupload_2020-6-12_9-13-17.jpeg

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a FYI, I tried the F11 and its a complete gimmick. It lasts for a very short time.

recently I bought some Ceramic Coating that guys on here kinda suggested and its lasting extremely well. It takes just as long to F11 as it does to Ceramic coat, so get some ceramic and you will be impressed.

On your trim, its just plastic, so I'm sure it could be pitted, but that seems awful early for that.....

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had the dealer detail our new White 2020 Max

Identified your issue in the first sentence of your post. Dealer wash guys are rarely detailers and if they are they are usually on the lowest rung of the car detailing ladder. Those spots are likely sun dried soap from a soap bucket that has washed a few cars already that day all while sharing the same mitt and the bucket lacking a particulate filter. I wish I had some advice on how to remove them but I don’t. Just beware of dealer wash guys, they are not far above the high school fund raiser car wash in the strip mall parking lot level of quality.

Budwise

Reaction score
A little polish and it should come right off. Get some Meguiars Ultimate Polish and a little round sponge applicator and rub it over the spots and I bet it'll take them off. I wouldn't go to compound, that is more abrasive, a polish should do it.

OP
OP
Brent Wahl

Brent Wahl

Reaction score
Found similar spots on the power side step metal trim. Most spots near the front tire. I decided to add weather tech mud flaps to keep much of the road debris off such.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Just had the dealer detail our new White 2020 Max and it looks great. (Bought when dealer did not have staff to clean detail the new car)

Today I took the car out of the garage and decided to F11 Top Coat the rear of the SUV to protect the paint and metals. Most went well but I found many spots in the metal trim that I could not remove.

As most of the spots are on the rear and right rear side of the trim I assume the exhaust with poor metal coverage caused the sporting. I have not fully detailed the car myself so there could be other areas with spots but so far I have not notice as much as in the rear metal trim.

Car is garage and we do not live near the ocean, train tracks and car was sold from central Florida dealer.

Anyone else have such spots?

Any suggested fixes or does it need to be replaced by the dealer?

Thanks
View attachment 36569View attachment 36569
I had these exact same spots in my '16 Explorer chrome trim pieces, bought it at 9 months old so still under warranty. Nothing I used would remove them (looked almost like rust). I asked the dealer about having it fixed or replaced, they said that was NOT covered by warranty and was very expensive to have replaced, they suggested it was environmental damage (salt, etc) so no warranty coverage. Had that car 3 years and those spots bugged the heck out of me. They were on every lower chrome trim piece.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
Found similar spots on the power side step metal trim. Most spots near the front tire. I decided to add weather tech mud flaps to keep much of the road debris off such.
I installed the Weather Tech mud flaps last week x4, they were easy to install and look nice.

Daniel Drew

Reaction score
Just a FYI, I tried the F11 and its a complete gimmick. It lasts for a very short time.

recently I bought some Ceramic Coating that guys on here kinda suggested and its lasting extremely well. It takes just as long to F11 as it does to Ceramic coat, so get some ceramic and you will be impressed.

On your trim, its just plastic, so I'm sure it could be pitted, but that seems awful early for that.....

what ceramic coat was that? @Deadman