Metallic sound when accelerating at around 55-60 sometimes lower speed

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drive train' started by alcgraham, Jun 10, 2019.

1. alcgraham

alcgraham Member

So today I was headed down the freeway and when I accelerated between 55-60 it was making a noise, I could hear it because my window was down. I didn't think anything of it as first as I thought maybe it was a rock stuck in my wheel or something. Then I realized every time I tried to accelerate in that range it did it then stopped. It is driving ok besides that. I then was going up a hill and accelerated to 40 and it did it again. Help please, my husband is out of town and I need to figure this out!!!

2. alcgraham

alcgraham Member

Just had it looked at quickly at the mechanic. He drove it and heard noise and put it up on the rack to take a quick look and check for anything obvious. He said it didn't seem unsafe and that it is a metal on metal sound so he was wondering about a heat shield being lose. Any thoughts?

3. Dr0idattack

Dr0idattack Full Access Members

Infamous Ford clunk. What I’ve gathered from various forums is that it’s probably harmless yet can be annoying.

4. alcgraham

alcgraham Member

So I think I have described the noise badly. It is more of a metallic sound, like a tin can full of something metal or think of the bike spoke things that make loud noises. When driving below 55-60 only does it around 40 if accelerating more aggressively. I just noticed that as I was coming home it made the noise then kind of a loud clunk. I am so not at all sure what to do. This definitely does not sound like a loose heat shield. The mechanic didn't get to drive it on the freeway as he just looked at it real quick to determine nothing was hanging off or unsafe. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

5. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

6. alcgraham

alcgraham Member

So wondering if this could be a bad ujoint?

7. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

Year, make, model, engine, 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive? What drive mode were you driving in?

This MAY help: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf

8. alcgraham

alcgraham Member

I drive a 2004 Expedition, Eddie Bauer trim, 5.4 liter engine with 4 wheel drive. I am just driving in 2 wd.

9. Dr0idattack

Dr0idattack Full Access Members

If it sounds like a diesel rattle, might be bad gas or maybe need throttle body cleaned? Could see if the pinging rattle goes away if you change gas stations or try a higher rating of gas. Just speculation on my part.

10. alcgraham

alcgraham Member

Thanks for your thoughts. Mine is not a diesel model though. I was thinking it might be a heat shield rattling when I hear the rattle noise but the clunk I heard at 55-60 I am wondering if it is a u-joint. I will definitely try some higher end gas though, can't hurt!! I will also have my husband clean the throttle body.