Metallic sound when accelerating at around 55-60 sometimes lower speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alcgraham

Reaction score
So today I was headed down the freeway and when I accelerated between 55-60 it was making a noise, I could hear it because my window was down. I didn't think anything of it as first as I thought maybe it was a rock stuck in my wheel or something. Then I realized every time I tried to accelerate in that range it did it then stopped. It is driving ok besides that. I then was going up a hill and accelerated to 40 and it did it again. Help please, my husband is out of town and I need to figure this out!!!

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
Just had it looked at quickly at the mechanic. He drove it and heard noise and put it up on the rack to take a quick look and check for anything obvious. He said it didn't seem unsafe and that it is a metal on metal sound so he was wondering about a heat shield being lose. Any thoughts?

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Infamous Ford clunk. What I’ve gathered from various forums is that it’s probably harmless yet can be annoying.

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
So I think I have described the noise badly. It is more of a metallic sound, like a tin can full of something metal or think of the bike spoke things that make loud noises. When driving below 55-60 only does it around 40 if accelerating more aggressively. I just noticed that as I was coming home it made the noise then kind of a loud clunk. I am so not at all sure what to do. This definitely does not sound like a loose heat shield. The mechanic didn't get to drive it on the freeway as he just looked at it real quick to determine nothing was hanging off or unsafe. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I think I have described the noise badly. It is more of a metallic sound, like a tin can full of something metal or think of the bike spoke things that make loud noises. When driving below 55-60 only does it around 40 if accelerating more aggressively. I just noticed that as I was coming home it made the noise then kind of a loud clunk. I am so not at all sure what to do. This definitely does not sound like a loose heat shield. The mechanic didn't get to drive it on the freeway as he just looked at it real quick to determine nothing was hanging off or unsafe. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So today I was headed down the freeway and when I accelerated between 55-60 it was making a noise, I could hear it because my window was down. I didn't think anything of it as first as I thought maybe it was a rock stuck in my wheel or something. Then I realized every time I tried to accelerate in that range it did it then stopped. It is driving ok besides that. I then was going up a hill and accelerated to 40 and it did it again. Help please, my husband is out of town and I need to figure this out!!!

Year, make, model, engine, 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive? What drive mode were you driving in?

This MAY help: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
I drive a 2004 Expedition, Eddie Bauer trim, 5.4 liter engine with 4 wheel drive. I am just driving in 2 wd.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
If it sounds like a diesel rattle, might be bad gas or maybe need throttle body cleaned? Could see if the pinging rattle goes away if you change gas stations or try a higher rating of gas. Just speculation on my part.

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. Mine is not a diesel model though. I was thinking it might be a heat shield rattling when I hear the rattle noise but the clunk I heard at 55-60 I am wondering if it is a u-joint. I will definitely try some higher end gas though, can't hurt!! I will also have my husband clean the throttle body.