Michelin Premier LTX DT vs Defender LTX M/S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The $150 off, How much does Costco charge for 4 Installed?

275/55 R20 (my size)

Michelin - X LT A/S
Set of 4 $879.96 (Before Discount)

Michelin - LTX M/S2
Set of 4 $907.96 (Before Discount)

Michelin - Defender LTX M/S
Set of 4 $935.96 (Before Discount)

I have the X LT fwiw.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always search on Walmart.com

They usually have deep discounts on something.

Typically, you can get a set of 4 top brand tires in the right size for a truck for 450-600 shipped

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
Happy to report that the ride quality has improved quite a bit! This is my wife's daily and she mentioned (without me asking) the tires are a lot more comfortable. The tires feel much more compliant compared to the factory Hankooks with 20k miles. The small harsh bumps on the street near my house are now dampened with a small thump and less drama. The larger bumps/humps that usually unsettle the chassis are noticeably reduced and the ramp launch-off effect in 3rd row is less. Road noise is very quiet. No complaints here. In FlyBry's words, ""why did I wait, should have done this sooner"!

One thing to note - Discount Tire inflated the tires to 45+ PSI, which made it very stiff. Once lowered to the Ford recommended PSI, the ride quality was much better.

ESA 780

Reaction score
Just had my original Hankook's replaced with Defenders after 57k. Literally just got home from Mavis and realized they are 110 not 114. Their website shows 110 as the option. Is there a danger in running the 110's instead of 114's?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had my original Hankook's replaced with Defenders after 57k. Literally just got home from Mavis and realized they are 110 not 114. Their website shows 110 as the option. Is there a danger in running the 110's instead of 114's?
In theory, yes.

The load rating of a 110 tire is 2337 pounds. The load rating of a 114 tire is 2601 pounds. Obviously, the load rating is the weight that tire can bear. While the 264 pound difference doesn't sound like much, remember to multiply it by 4. So running 110s instead of 114s, you have lost more than 1000 pounds of carrying capacity. (The pressure to which you inflate the tires play in here as well, but it doesn't help.)

The 114 is necessary for these vehicles because of how much they weigh and how much they can carry (if you were to load 7 adults in the vehicle you would likely be close to the stated payload capacity and, by extension, certainly over the capability of those 110 tires).

If you go over the load rating of the tires, you will wear the tires faster and your risk of a blowout is arguably higher.

I have always been told you can buy tires with a higher load rating than the OEM tires, but you should never go lower.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And that's probably only inflated to a pressure that you don't ever run.

Chances are your real current capacity is 1000+ lower than that, and you're close to maxing it just by sitting alone in a parking with no cargo.