Michigan residents - registration renewal cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpc11

Reaction score
If you live in Michigan, just curious approx what you are paying to renew your license plate on an '18 or '19 Expi.

I had just renewed my plate on my Explorer about 4 weeks before I transferred it to my new Expedition back in December. Just got the renewal notice and its over 4 times as much as last year. I expected it to be maybe twice as much, but not 4 times. So, just curious if it's on par or if they messed something up. Thanks.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pay a bit under $200 all said and done to renew my Registration in NY, a bit pricey but not too bad. If it’s 4 times as in over $800+ whoa.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mpc11

Reaction score
Paid $134 last year for Explorer. Transferred to Expi and they now want $562 this year. At same time, '19 Edge is just $133 to renew. I assume they have something wrong, but want to verify with other MI residents..

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$89/yr in PA for vehicles between 5000 and 7000#. Fortunately the value of the vehicle is not correlated to the registration fee like in many other states.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you live in Michigan, just curious approx what you are paying to renew your license plate on an '18 or '19 Expi.

I had just renewed my plate on my Explorer about 4 weeks before I transferred it to my new Expedition back in December. Just got the renewal notice and its over 4 times as much as last year. I expected it to be maybe twice as much, but not 4 times. So, just curious if it's on par or if they messed something up. Thanks.

Looks like Michigan bases registration fees on the value of the vehicle. Here is a calculator from the DMV website. https://dsvsesvc.sos.state.mi.us/TAP/_/#1