Mileage upgrade for 17 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miket961

Reaction score
Hi All, new to this forum but have been in other forums. First time Expedition owner (love it).

How can I boost my mileage? I see varying info about replacing some air filters and maybe the exhaust. Other info on updating the computer but the websites I fount seemed sketchy.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

miket961

Reaction score
I should add that I purchased my expedition 1 week ago. Has 43k miles. Took a 400 mile trip on the highway and couldn’t get it to budge above 19.2. I quickly found out cruise control does worse at 18.9

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should add that I purchased my expedition 1 week ago. Has 43k miles. Took a 400 mile trip on the highway and couldn’t get it to budge above 19.2. I quickly found out cruise control does worse at 18.9

Welcome!

Welcome!

Congrats on purchasing a 6100lb anchor! You aren’t gonna see great gas mileage in these cinder blocks. For starters, change the oil to full synthetic 5W30 and get yourself a jlt performance catch can to stop the blow by that’s going to continue building up in your engine. Take all three MAP sensors out and spray them with CRC MAF cleaner or replace if they are really discolored after cleaning. Air intake system vs new filter: new system only gonna be beneficial if you tune it (which is what I did). Please DO NOT mess with the exhaust. They sound horrible, Ive tried 3 different mufflers on a full 3” system, back to stock every time. And run 93. I get 25-28 real-time mpg on highway and I’m tuned, lifted, 4WD with 35s

Last edited:

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
19.2 is GREAT gas mileage for a 7,000lb vehicle with a beefed up V6...

I see you run a 2017 so you've got the same engine setup I've got.

Bout the only starting suggestion I have is a tuner but it willgive you better performance and similar or worse gas mileage

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thats not bad. There is a huge fuel penalty with these trucks between say, 65mph and 75mph. HUGE.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My standard length used to average 16 MPG, my current EL 5.4 Triton averages 15 MPG combined. Both average about 18 MPG on the highway. They aren’t fuel efficient vehicles the curb weight is around 6,000 pounds, combine that weight with a substantial V8 or turbocharged V6 to move said weight and it’s a recipe for drinking gas.

Honestly the best way to save on gas is to drive slower and keep it below 70 on the highway. Also taking routes with less stop and go would help.

OP
OP
M

miket961

Reaction score
Welcome!

Welcome!

Congrats on purchasing a 6100lb anchor! You aren’t gonna see great gas mileage in these cinder blocks. For starters, change the oil to full synthetic 5W30 and get yourself a jlt performance catch can to stop the blow by that’s going to continue building up in your engine. Take all three MAP sensors out and spray them with CRC MAF cleaner or replace if they are really discolored after cleaning. Air intake system vs new filter: new system only gonna be beneficial if you tune it (which is what I did). Please DO NOT mess with the exhaust. They sound horrible, Ive tried 3 different mufflers on a full 3” system, back to stock every time. And run 93. I get 25-28 real-time mpg on highway and I’m tuned, lifted, 4WD with 35s

What tuner did you use?

Do you have a link for the JLT catch can? Went to their site and couldn’t locate one for the 2017 Expedition unless the f150 ecoboost works the same