Mileage upgrade for 17 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 30795

Pg 307 of the 2017 Expedition's owner manual. Until Ford puts out an additional approved oil, 5w30 is all it gets.
Yup, we will let @rjdelp7 do what he wants. Everyone just needs to be aware he has never owned an ecoboost expedition, gets 99% of his info about them from reading online, and often is narrow minded (yes I know I am too when it comes to only liking 15-17 expeditions)

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Yup, we will let @rjdelp7 do what he wants. Everyone just needs to be aware he has never owned an ecoboost expedition, gets 99% of his info about them from reading online, and often is narrow minded (yes I know I am too when it comes to only liking 15-17 expeditions)
Not true and a ignorant assumption. I read and researched extensively, about the ecoboost. I have test driven a 15 and a 17. That is why I didn't buy one. The original question is about saving fuel. Once again,has gone off the rails and has turned into a 'tuning' cheerleader thread. Stop trying to police the forum. The Mobil 0w-30 covers Ford requirement WSS-M2C946(for 5w30 use)

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not true and a ignorant assumption. I read and researched extensively, about the ecoboost. I have test driven a 15 and a 17. That is why I didn't buy one. The original question is about saving fuel. Once again,has gone off the rails and has turned into a 'tuning' cheerleader thread. Stop trying to police the forum. The Mobil 0w-30 covers Ford requirement WSS-M2C946(for 5w30 use)
Easy enough, I’ll just hit the ignore button and never have to deal with you again. Bye bye

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
View attachment 30790 View attachment 30791 View attachment 30792 Meets Ford requirement WSS-M2C946, My rust bucket, is in excellent shape.[/QUOTE

The 0W30 improves mileage due to the otherwise lighter viscosity. Thinner oil, easier to pump through thus less parasitic loss. That being said, personally I'd be concerned with running the lighter oil. I know 5W vs 0W is not a huge difference, and the warm viscosity (30) is the same between the two. Having put together my share of motors, knowing what's going on in the bottom end puts a different perspective on the need for oil pressure :). I'm sure the 0W30 works fine, it just wouldn't be the place I personally would go to increase mileage. And for the record rjdelp7, nice ride! it's not typical that we see a 1st gen Expedition in that condition in the north east :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni