Minimally destructive way to hang side-window drapes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
I've been thinking about ways I can add some black drapes or cloth to block out the third-row windows for my car camping trips. Of course my old 2000 Exp isn't exactly flush with resale value, but I'd like to find an attachment method that isn't completely permanent or especially damaging.

My first thought was to use those self-adhesive lightweight plastic hooks. But they only bond up to 105 degrees, which is no good for parking in Texas summers. I could Gorilla Glue them, but they'd be there for life.

I could drive short screws or hooks into the plastic door trim -- but how far could I go before I hit metal?

I wonder if alligator clips, or something in a "money clip" shape, could be wedged between the trim edge and the headliner and then act as a clamp for the cloth.

Would actually love to hang a drape inside the rear windshield at night, but haven't figured that out yet either. There's just, like, nothing to attach anything to back there.

Any suggestions?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blackout tint? Cant see shit, unless youve got lights on inside

If you want temporary mounts, why not suction cups?

Also, superglue is strong but brittle, you should be able to pry it off

And if you attach something small like hooks or loops, does it really matter?

Finally, you could use neodymium magnets, that shit is small and strong

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one has actually been on my mind.

I hung a loft in my '98 by removing the coat hooks and using a drill to notch them.

When we went to Gold Butte np a couple of weeks ago, the wife pointed out that privacy curtains would be nice. So I came up with this.

Order four more coat hooks and notch them the same way. Mount them on the B pillar and above the hatch. Get some matching paracord and run it through the notches. If you dont mind a string across the headliner you get 360° coverage.

If you decide to sell it just cut the string.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
All the mentioned various methods work. If you just want to throw something up for a night and then can it ... Blue painters tape and a garbage bag can work. I've also used a bathtub mat with suction cups. One of those windshield sunscreens cutout to window size and pressed in, or probably cardboard for that matter.

Sleeping in past sunrise when the sun is coming in the window is handy when camping

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well for car camping in sun, the two things you REALLY need are deep tint & deflectors.

Actual curtains are more like for if you want to put lights on and still not draw much attention, use mobile devices at night without drawing attention to the truck being occpied, or do immoral acts of the lewd variety in high-traffic areas

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far. Yeah, suction cups occurred to me just as my head hit the pillow last night. Magnets were another thought -- they certainly work for my exterior mosquito netting -- but they'd have to be pretty scary-strong to work through the panel plastic.

I think the rear windshield will be the biggest challenge. I might be able to tie something to the little hinge-things that allow the windshield to open. Or maybe try the magnets there.

I do have tint, which helps with privacy, but I think a physical light blocking barrier would make it easier for me to sleep.

Coverage for the second row was easy: a black garment bag for each window!:secret:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The spring-tension curtain rods might have a place for the back window if there are to flat edges to wedge them into. They screw in and out for adjustment and wedge in with spring tension and have soft rubber ends.

Some great ideas here!