Misfire Cylinder 5? Second motor, and PCM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpwhre

Reaction score
2006 Limited 2wd

I struggled a while back with a code [cylinder 5 misfire] and I went thru everything. I changed the cam sensors. I pulled the phaser off to see if it was stuck. I examined the top end while valve cover was off [tend to drop rocker]. Injectors. Spark. Limp mode, the entire drivers side head gasket blew. Water in every piston, center gully of block was a pool, outside had fluid down the entire block.

I put in a reman. Came with heads tapped to do standard plugs. I put all new coil packs, starter, water pump (anything I couldn't reach with a wrench without pulling motor) and got 6k miles. Misfire cylinder 5 come back up and it runs like crap.

Only thing not replaced was PCM and harness.

PCM has been replaced with set of programmed keys. Runs like crap on first start (exactly the same as last PCM) but hasn't had chance to do self diagnose (why, it runs like crap)

I found a pin load-out for 2005 and not only do the colors not match, but the pins don't. Cylinder 7 comes out to pin for cylinder 3 (coil on pack) and 5 lands on Cylinder 8 pin (according to pin out) and I'm getting 0.2 ohm on each pin (random pocking) including cylinder 5 pin.

Conclusion of first motor: PCM tells cylinder 5 to fire, it doesn't. PCM tells injector 5 to fire, it does. Eventually I got hydrolock from a cylinder being flooded with fuel and took out entire head gasket. It's doing it again after replacing motor, and PCM and from what I can tell, there is no short (broken wire) from the coil pack to the pin connector on PCM (not same pin listed on 05)

What am I missing? So far I'm in $7k and it still isn't fixed (going to blow second motor i'm sure)

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, you can unplug #5 fuel injector until you get it straightened out. That'll keep it from dumping fuel into the cylinder if that really blew your head gasket. If you put a test light noid on the #5 coil harness plug do you see it firing in a steady rhythm with the other cylinders? Or is it erratic or not firing at all ?

OP
OP
J

jpwhre

Reaction score
Well, you can unplug #5 fuel injector until you get it straightened out. That'll keep it from dumping fuel into the cylinder if that really blew your head gasket. If you put a test light noid on the #5 coil harness plug do you see it firing in a steady rhythm with the other cylinders? Or is it erratic or not firing at all ?

As simple of a solution as it sounds, it's not a solution. My registration has expired. It has to go thru inspection every 2 years {Arizona) and it is due this time. Which means the truck has to actually work. I haven't a test light for doing plug test. I did notice couple days ago, injector 5 plug to be broken and not staying on tight (snapping in) and wonder if that has anything to do with it. But I don't want to hack-n-tap my harness. If I'm on the hunt for a harness I can cut up, then I'm on the hunt for a complet harness (just what does injectors, not whole truck)

Last edited:

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Splicing in a new connector is not a problem. Unfortunately, these connectors can get charred - it's just cheap plastic.. Found mine on cylinder #2 burnt a while back and we replaced it this way problem solved. I'd been chasing fuel smell and smoke on startup, poor MPG after going through everything else and finally bit the bullet to replace all 8 injectors. That's when we discovered the bad connector.