Misfire or something else??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow,how did this thread go from a misfire to polishing turds?? Anyway,i'll weigh in here. I was a technician in a Ford dealer for close to 20 years,and yes Toby,there are lots of crooks. It's the reason I got out. The flat rate system breeds crooks. I specialized in transmission repair(hence the name atman) while the fokkers next to me did brake jobs. They made twice the money cause they upsold anything possible. That being said,there are still some good techs around. Also something to keep in mind is that good technicians spent years learning the trade and spending money on tools and deserve to be compensated for the knowledge and experience. My two cents.
So,Fordgirl,how's that misfire?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow,how did this thread go from a misfire to polishing turds?? Anyway,i'll weigh in here. I was a technician in a Ford dealer for close to 20 years,and yes Toby,there are lots of crooks. It's the reason I got out. The flat rate system breeds crooks. I specialized in transmission repair(hence the name atman) while the fokkers next to me did brake jobs. They made twice the money cause they upsold anything possible. That being said,there are still some good techs around. Also something to keep in mind is that good technicians spent years learning the trade and spending money on tools and deserve to be compensated for the knowledge and experience. My two cents.

They do deserve to be compensated fairly or even quite nicely but both of those amounts are way below what a garage will charge you to fix your stuff. And let's not even get into independent transmission shops... They are the biggest Crooks around! They have so much lower overhead than a full-service garage or dealer yet they crank up the price to exorbitant levels because you know, Transmissions are hard and complicated and even many mechanics don't know how to fix them.
Many guys like you possibly work for a garage or dealer during the day and have a decent line of cars at their house and they work on on the nights and weekends. They make more money and more money per hour on the cars at home then they do at work but yet their work is charging over three times the amount for the repairs. You can get into Logistics all you want and I understand that is shop especially a large one has a electric bill that would scare the socks off of most homeowners but when they're charging three to four times more than what the mechanic is making, I Just Can't Go For That.
So in my opinion and experience the best way, and I sure wish we had more of them, are the guys that do work at home mant who are professional mechanics and body men and know exactly what they're doing and great at it. Unfortunately are a lot of hacks out there that aren't nearly as good as professional mechanics.
But it's not like there aren't hacks working at dealers and garages to that mess things up and you have to go through pulling teeth to try to get it right or eventually get your money back. Very few times do you come out ahead. They usually will misdiagnose something and do repair and charge you for that was the problem the first place and even after everything is all set and done even if they credit part of that or all of that repair back they have done another repair or two and over charge you for that one or one of them wasn't even necessary because they really didn't know what the problem was and they were just taking educated guesses like many other people would do. So in the end you spent more money and time to get it fixed even with whatever adjustments they have made that if you would have had somebody working cheaper or who actually guessed right the first time and knew what was wrong with it.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score

All better now!![emoji1360]. I’m still going to change plugs and coils on the other side, but I need to get my living room back together first!! I tear apart too many things at the same time[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Overdrive clunk; Engine loss of power while driving; Hesitation/skip upon takeoff; Rear end grinding while turning at slow speed

Multiple Updated parts:

My 03 Expedition XLT had a problem grinding while turning corners.. So i had a new diff installed.. A Torsen Diff , that has no clutch plates to wear out. ($2,000) Late December 2018

My over drive was making a clunk as i hit 20 miles an hour on the slow down to a stop... My buddy at the Tranny shop pulled the pan to replace the Acumilator (3/4) and clean the valve body,... this did not work, so a complete tranny rebuild took place... to fix the overdrive band, and also the forward gear, and new updated parts ($2500) June 2019

3 weeeks later...
idle dropped off twice, then while driving a few days later engine loss power, it did restart after 1-2 minutes. Got a new Fuel filter installed at the Dealer-was way overdue...
(recommended fuel filter change is 30k, i have 98k) One day later Engine loss power while driving again... (restarted after 2 minutes)
went back to tranny shop- used high tech scanner,.. picked up code PO2031- which is Low Voltage Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit...
( in short the $12 R303 relay for the fuel pump located on the Circuit board is failing... ) [Dealer cost repair around $800-900]
So I Paid a buddy to remove/re-install the board so I de-soldered the worn out relay, and re-soldered the new relay onto the board.
I worked, started up fine, and since i have had no issues...

I then decided to have my spark plugs replaced. got a tech from the dealer that did side work- at my house, (cheap labor).

My plugs were all worn to hell at 98k, Causing all kinds of problems, the biggest being Hesitation upon take off...( New plugs solved this problem)
Never had a check engine light.
seemed like a skip in the diff, or torque converter, i could never pinpoint the issue... Spark plugs made my SUV run better than it has in two years.
(Recommended spark plug change is around 100k... I will have these replaced when i hit 150k... I have no issues, and it idles smooth as glass.
Also installed a Motorcraft genuin Serpentine Belt... I also upgraded to a set of Power-Stop brake kit Z36- Heavy duty Towing- they work great !03 Expedition Circuit board.jpg New Torsen Diff-clutch plate free (1).jpg Old Plugs 98k worn to hell.jpg R303 Fuel pump Relay.jpg PowerStop Z36 brake kit.jpg 03 Expedition Circuit board.jpg 03 Expedition Circuit board.jpg New Torsen Diff-clutch plate free (1).jpg Old Plugs 98k worn to hell.jpg R303 Fuel pump Relay.jpg PowerStop Z36 brake kit.jpg

I have included lots of pictures, Hope this helps anyone with any of the above issues... Now my Expedition runs as good as it looks...