Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was mine, the main concern would be the misfire causing damage to the cats. Learned my lesson on misfire ruining my cats, expensive lesson. Do you have another dealer in your area that may be able to give you a second opinion?

OP
OP
K

kawakx125

Reaction score
I swapped the coil and plug with cylinder 2 and the issue remained at cylinder 3. That to me points to something else. The dealer stance, which they stated to Ford Customer Care, was that they would not go any further until their diagnostics showed a problem. They claim that Ford would not reimburse for swapping parts without one of those tests showing a problem. I am certainly not going to pay out of pocket for swapping parts when it is definitely under warranty. I have tried multiple fuel stations, the problem still exists. Battery is brand new. How do I get ahold of a regional manager or whatever?

OP
OP
K

kawakx125

Reaction score
If it was mine, the main concern would be the misfire causing damage to the cats. Learned my lesson on misfire ruining my cats, expensive lesson. Do you have another dealer in your area that may be able to give you a second opinion?
There are a few other dealers in the area I could try, currently trying to work with customer care to get a case opened up and some more in depth diagnostics approved. I don’t want to take it anywhere else until I know they’ll investigate it further as it’s a pain for me to get it to and from the dealer.

Kyle Lundy

Reaction score
My wife and I had a similar problem with our 2020 Limited with just 3200 miles. At freeway speeds the vehicle would start to stall and the engine light would come on. After about one minute it would clear up and drive normal. We took it to the dealership 6 times and continued to get the run around by Ford (shocking). Every time we took the vehicle in, we were told that they could not "replicate" the problem and just gave us back the vehicle and gave us the usual Ford song and dance line, "if it happens again bring it back in". The 4th time I told them I wasn't picking it up until it was fixed. We contacted Ford directly and open a case and a Lemon Law case. Ford just blew us off and the Lemon Law case was rejected. The 5th time at the dealership with the same problem was ugly. After several arguments over the phone, they still said they couldn't find any problems with the vehicle. We contacted Ford again and opened another Lemon Law case and when they dragged their feet, we hired an attorney. Once an attorney was involved, shocking....all of the sudden Ford actually wanted to do some work and figured out what was wrong with the vehicle. Our problem was a fuel injector. Per Ford, "cylinder #1 fuel injector sticks open at times" and "on 3rd road test #1 fuel injector sticking open at times, fuel line pressure drops from 900 PSI to 20 PSI in 10 seconds". Once this was fixed, we didn't have any further problems with that particular issue (this vehicle was at the dealership over 10 times with various other problems). A month or so later Ford called and the Lemon Law case was approved and Ford now has that POS back. Hopefully this helps. We had the same problem you are having at your dealership with Ford not wanting to do any work because they said they would not get reimbursed for parts or labor. The term they used on me was, "we have to be able to justify our cost to Ford". What a joke. Prior to finding the problem, they did what you also did in swapping coil wires and that was not the answer in our case. Then to add insult to injury, because they ****** off so long fixing the car and just giving it back to us when they couldn't "replicate" the problem, the catalytic converter went out less than a week after we got the vehicle back after they finally fix it. Everything was under warranty, but yes....a real pain in the ass and a big waste of time driving to the dealership every week.

OP
OP
K

kawakx125

Reaction score
I have called the service manager 3 times today, can’t get a return call. Maybe the issue is with the dealer and I need to make some phone calls tomorrow and find a new one, however more inconvenient it may be.

proftomda

Reaction score
From your very thorough and detailed initial write up, the thing that comes to my mind is a fuel injector. I believe you said the problem is only on one specific cylinder, you have swapped spark plugs and the problem stays on that cylinder. Absent some intermittent wiring problem to that coil (odds almost zero) I would look into swapping fuel injectors around and see if the problem travels with the fuel injector. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

kawakx125

Reaction score
From your very thorough and detailed initial write up, the thing that comes to my mind is a fuel injector. I believe you said the problem is only on one specific cylinder, you have swapped spark plugs and the problem stays on that cylinder. Absent some intermittent wiring problem to that coil (odds almost zero) I would look into swapping fuel injectors around and see if the problem travels with the fuel injector. Good luck!
My main issue is getting Ford to step up and approve some further diagnostics. I don’t expect the dealer to work for free, nor should I have to pay out of pocket while under warranty. I believe we have proven it’s not entirely bad gas. Ford will not pay if diagnostics don’t show a problem, and seeing as how it’s a short lived issue, I’d at least like to see some things ruled out and maybe some parts thrown at it.