Miss fires on 2012 5.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomk

Reaction score
I have a 2012 with the 5.4L.
Persistent, intermittent P0300, p0301, p0304 codes.
Mostly at idle.
Note: Some miss fires on 2 and 3, but below the check engine set threshold. No miss fires on bank 2. (5-8).
Following has been done:
- new plugs on 1 and 4.
- New coil packs on 1,2,3, and 4.
- New injectors on 1 and 4.

I'm suspicious of the VCT solenoid.
I see various internet info claiming you MUST remove the valve cover to replace this.
Yet, I also find youtube videos showing how to do it without removing the valve cover.

But, I note 2 different seals around the VCT solenoid: 1 where the hole is off center with 2 tabs on the seal, and one where the hole is centered.
Mine is the second of these. (Videos show the off center type of seal.)

Does the type of seal indicate whether one can change the solenoid without removing the cover?
Has anyone changed this with the centered seal without removing the valve cover?

thanks,
tomk

OP
OP
T

tomk

Reaction score
Near as I can tell...
Somewhere in the production process, Ford made the hole through the valve cover smaller.
Just enough smaller that the solenoid will NOT fit through the hole.
So, the smaller, centered type seal indicates that one does have to remove the valve cover to replace the solenoid.
Only on the older units with the off center, tabbed type seal is there enough clearance to swap it in place.

... Thanks, Ford. :(

tomk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did the passenger side VCT solenoid in my old 2007 last week. My buddy bought that Expedition off me and I fixed a bunch of things up for him before he took over. It’s not too bad. The bolts are all 8mm. You’ll want the small ratchet and a few swivels. I might get chastised for this….but it’s an old truck. I cut the coolant lines to get it out and then put couplers on to put back together. I wasn’t taking the battery box out. Things got 220k, it doesn’t need to be perfect. I sold it for a grand lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bretbrat