Monroe vs Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Monroes. Got'm. Point: Get rid of the stock shocks. They're terrible, unless you like driving a parade float! I've got Bilsteins on our Mustang GT. Like'm. But they're stiff and cost more labor to install than Monroes. If you're doing it yourself you have to manually take the old spring/shock assy upart n reinstall.
I would rather leave the trusted springs there and just put the Monroes in.

Brent Harward

Reaction score
Monroes come as a unit with the springs attached. Bilsteins sell you the strut less springs and require you, or you mechanic, to disassemble the unit. Your old springs are then installed on the new Bilsteins. Gonna share some YouTube that covers this. Ignore all the work the video shows to get the old unit out. It's overkill. But you'll get the idea.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Monroes come as a unit with the springs attached. Bilsteins sell you the strut less springs and require you, or you mechanic, to disassemble the unit. Your old springs are then installed on the new Bilsteins. Gonna share some YouTube that covers this. Ignore all the work the video shows to get the old unit out. It's overkill. But you'll get the idea.
So you can't buy Monroes without the springs?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you can't buy Monroes without the springs?

No, and the springs that come with the monroe quickshit, err, quickstrut kits aren't as good as OEM springs. This is what I'm dealing with one mine...the rear has sagged. I'm at the point now where I'm going to be into mine more time because the god damned springs are cheap pieces of ***** compared to OEM. It's also too cold to go to the junkyard and find (or try to find) a front-hit Expy in my model year range (there are none in 300 miles radius).

I want to run Bilsteins because they're better than pretty much anything else out there, I would rather have a bit rougher ride rather than cushy soft shit that will need replaced in 2 years, plus I have 5 kids and we all often take trips together, so the extra capability of Bilsteins would be better for my use.

I also run 18" wheels rather than bigger ones so the ride will therefore already be better than the same setup on a 20" wheel vehicle, let alone a 22".

FWIW, the rears on my '11 are monroe quickstruts....you may remember in my Bilstein thread where I mentioned my existing rear struts did NOT have removable spring seats....

Cheap shit. It really ****** me off.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, and the springs that come with the monroe quickshit, err, quickstrut kits aren't as good as OEM springs. This is what I'm dealing with one mine...the rear has sagged. I'm at the point now where I'm going to be into mine more time because the god damned springs are cheap pieces of ***** compared to OEM. It's also too cold to go to the junkyard and find (or try to find) a front-hit Expy in my model year range (there are none in 300 miles radius).

I want to run Bilsteins because they're better than pretty much anything else out there, I would rather have a bit rougher ride rather than cushy soft shit that will need replaced in 2 years, plus I have 5 kids and we all often take trips together, so the extra capability of Bilsteins would be better for my use.

I also run 18" wheels rather than bigger ones so the ride will therefore already be better than the same setup on a 20" wheel vehicle, let alone a 22".

FWIW, the rears on my '11 are monroe quickstruts....you may remember in my Bilstein thread where I mentioned my existing rear struts did NOT have removable spring seats....

Cheap shit. It really ****** me off.
More foul mouth and negativity.