Moonroof Replacement Glass FYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tread85

Reaction score
If you have to replace a moonroof panel the tint may not match the old panel and the glass might not be as robust as the original. I'd confirm with dealer that it will match if you have to replace.

A bro-dozer with tires sticking about a foot past the fenders threw a rock onto my '18 expy. I heard something hit at the time but didn't notice any damage to the hood or windshield when I looked (didn't occur to me to look at the roof for some reason). A crack showed up on the front panel a week later with a very distinct spot at the edge where the rock hit.

Dealer wanted over $1500 to replace it. I found the oem panel (ML3Z-16500A18-A) online from a dealer a couple hours away for a little over $700. Drove there, picked it up, and went home and installed in 30 minutes or so, it's a very easy job. Unfortunately, the replacement tint is a different color; the original tint has a green hue and the new panel is greyish. Also, the glass itself is not as thick, the panel is quite a bit lighter than the original. Ford obviously changed suppliers or the specs at some point. It fits fine and works, just annoying that I have two different tint colors in the roof now and the glass is not as thick - definitely doesn't dampen outside noise as well.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
30 minutes? Wow. Be interested in steps to replace or video, for any future job. Thanks