Motor oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I got a door ding, from an overweight GM mechanic. He hit it on the lift. I was watching or it never would of been caught. A another time, I had a 60yr old Ford mechanic take a 20 min "joyride" in my Mustang. It was in for a state inspection and had only 1700mi. He then proceed to move it 4 times, from bay to bay. He removed all 4 tires. I wanted to kill this idiot. The owner pulled camera footage and called to apologize. I should of called the local news.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a door ding, from an overweight GM mechanic. He hit it on the lift. I was watching or it never would of been caught. A another time, I had a 60yr old Ford mechanic take a 20 min "joyride" in my Mustang. It was in for a state inspection and had only 1700mi. He then proceed to move it 4 times, from bay to bay. He removed all 4 tires. I wanted to kill this idiot. The owner pulled camera footage and called to apologize. I should of called the local news.

You should have called the State Inspection authority. "Hey, one of your certified inspectors took my car on a joy ride during an inspection. Is there a charge for that?"

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I routinely tell crap shops put on the tires and do Nothing Else. Then I watch through the window while they work

Haha! That's what I did at Jiffy Lube last time I was there. I always do my own oil changes, but we were leaving for vacation, it was due, and I just didn't have time.

Me: Just change the oil. I don't want you to check the fluids, check the wipers, or even clean the windows. Just change the oil.
JL Tech: It's free.
Me: I know. Just the oil.
JL Tech: You don't ...
Me: Just the oil!
JL Tech: OK.

Now they start working on my truck. Guy A is doing the oil and here comes Guy B to do my windows (with the ammonia window cleaner that is a huge no-no for aftermarket tint).

Me: *banging on the glass* JUST THE OIL!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The laws in most, if not all states permit an owner to do his own maintenance without any ill effects on any warranty. You must keep records and parts receipts. So check the terms of your warranty and most likely changing your own oil will not void that. Read the small print. The ones provided by Ford certainly permit your own work.

The Motorcraft filters have an anti-drainback valve in them that provides oil pressure on start-up more quickly than cheaper filters without the valve. Especially with the 5.4's and their timing chain and variable valve set-ups, I would stick with Motorcraft filters. They are also made in USA.

I buy a six gallon "bag in a box" of Motorcraft full synthetic oil from Rock Auto for $85. This gives me three and a half oil changes. Walmart also sells Motorcraft oil at a bit higher price. I've also used Mobil 1 from Walmart at $20/gallon. Motorcraft filters are about $4 at Walmart and $3 from Rock Auto.

I change mine on my 2008 when the monitor recommends. My experience with Ford dealers here in New York hasn't been good so I do the work myself.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's too fricken funny MAN.......I can see you pounding on the glass while the kids look back at you wondering what's wrong with you! You know there is ZERO retention anymore....

jeff

Plati

Reaction score
I'm in Sarasota helping 93 year old parents. Had this discussion this morning. Hey Dad I'm gonna get you an oil change. Dad says he doesn't think car needs it, doesn't drive much (at all anymore). I say its been more than 2 years , you need it. He says he doesn't think so. I'm doing it anyway. I drive it when I come down every few months.

Just talked to insurance people, Ma & Pa Kettle don't drive anymore, just me on my visits. No need to change insurance. I was surprised. State Farm.

The other issue is fuel. Fuel, typically E10 can sit in that tank for months. I went to fill with no ethanol and the guy at the other pump tells me REC fuel is not suitable for cars, will degrade rubber and corrode things. I tell him he has it backwards, E10 can do that and can go bad after a month. My nephew advises don't mix NE with E10 and just go with E10 but put the magic E10 stabilizer in it. I cant find any real science behind E10 stabilizer additives but then again a lot of people swear its the way to go. I'm gonna put Lucas Ethanol in it and try to leave it full and pray I can run through the tank within 3 months. Not sure.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in Sarasota helping 93 year old parents. Had this discussion this morning. Hey Dad I'm gonna get you an oil change. Dad says he doesn't think car needs it, doesn't drive much (at all anymore). I say its been more than 2 years , you need it. He says he doesn't think so. I'm doing it anyway. I drive it when I come down every few months.

Just talked to insurance people, Ma & Pa Kettle don't drive anymore, just me on my visits. No need to change insurance. I was surprised. State Farm.

The other issue is fuel. Fuel, typically E10 can sit in that tank for months. I went to fill with no ethanol and the guy at the other pump tells me REC fuel is not suitable for cars, will degrade rubber and corrode things. I tell him he has it backwards, E10 can do that and can go bad after a month. My nephew advises don't mix NE with E10 and just go with E10 but put the magic E10 stabilizer in it. I cant find any real science behind E10 stabilizer additives but then again a lot of people swear its the way to go. I'm gonna put Lucas Ethanol in it and try to leave it full and pray I can run through the tank within 3 months. Not sure.

For low use cars, use ethanol-free fuel, and dose it with Sea Foam fuel treatment. If there's a Walmart nearby, you can find ethanol-free at the Murphy Express (always in line-of-sight to a Walmart). The stabilizer prevents the alcohol from converting into sugar and crystallizing in your fuel lines (that means plugging them solid). If the ethanol never gets in the tank, you won't have that issue. Regular gas can, over a much longer period of time, cause a varnish to adhere to the piping. The Sea Foam will 1) inhibit that from occurring, and 2) dissolve the varnish as the fuel moves through the system.

BTW, my 80 years-young parents also live in Sarasota.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
For low use cars, use ethanol-free fuel, and dose it with Sea Foam fuel treatment. If there's a Walmart nearby, you can find ethanol-free at the Murphy Express (always in line-of-sight to a Walmart). The stabilizer prevents the alcohol from converting into sugar and crystallizing in your fuel lines (that means plugging them solid). If the ethanol never gets in the tank, you won't have that issue. Regular gas can, over a much longer period of time, cause a varnish to adhere to the piping. The Sea Foam will 1) inhibit that from occurring, and 2) dissolve the varnish as the fuel moves through the system.

BTW, my 80 years-young parents also live in Sarasota.
Seafoam has alcohol, its for lawn mowers. Lucas fuel treatment is a good product.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seafoam has alcohol, its for lawn mowers. Lucas fuel treatment is a good product.
Its isopropanol, not ethanol. Isopropanol does not convert to sugar, and it is a small percentage of SeaFoam, which is mostly naptha and kerosene.

Virtually all fuel stabilizers use the same cocktail, just in varying mixtures. And yes, Lucas is a good product. I typed SeaFoam cuz thats what I use.

Last edited:

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Ford Expedition Limited with only 6000 miles and the extended warranty. I bring it to them to make sure the warranty is not voided and I trust my local Ford dealership. I've been dealing with them since 1978 without any problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360