MPG Computer Accuracy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note: One post has nothing to do with the other. Or much of anything else.

I really don't have a drinking problem.
Crack kills, but you have to break some eggs to make a plumber's crack.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, just wow....
I just don't worry too much about it being a mile per gallon higher. Maybe they just do it to make us feel better. I'm okay with that. I like to feel better more than I like accuracy. But don't get around any engineers. They will lose their minds. Then they will take stuff apart especially lawn mowers and damage them and cause more problems for the tech to fix them. Like the two this month that took their Muffler off to fix what they thought was a fuel delivery issue. One even thought it was the carburetor!
I just know the mpg meter is quite accurate. The harder I drive and the more I idle, the lower it goes.

Still trying to figure out how my warped sense of reality, cynical, laissez-faire, opinionated, always right (preferences can't be wrong), dismissive, demeaning, critical, snotty tone or attitude .....
makes ya say wow. Things that make ya say....wow.
Uh huh, uh huh...that's the way uh huh uh huh. - KC and the Sunshine Band
That's the way we like it! - Jackyl

MidnightBruce

Reaction score
I am going to resurrect the dead here because I have a very interesting take on this topic and I couldn't find another thread newer than this one. I recently moved to Arizona and I have made three or four trips back and forth from California to Arizona and I have filled up my vehicle in both states during these trips. I found that when I filled my vehicle up in California, no matter where I filled up the miles per gallon in my calculations were always less than what my trip computer said. Every single fill up that I did in California always equated to a worse MPG calculation than the trip computer and usually one and a half to two MPG worse. Upon my return trips to Arizona, every single fill up in Arizona, I would calculate almost completely perfectly dead on with the trip computer plus or minus a 10th of what the trip computer said. And I have experienced this in both my 2016 Expedition and my 2018 Ford fusion multiple times. I don't think that this is an anomaly as much as it is improperly metered fuel in the state of California based on their weights and measures. I intentionally filled up a different stations to try and eliminate weather and or particular gas stations being the issue. This is a very interesting find as I always thought my trip computer was just off on all my vehicles and it was a Ford thing. Every single fill up in Arizona has been dead on. Not sure what's going on here but I'm okay with it. I like getting more bang for my buck.

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
California sucks, news at 11! Not any more seriously, but more on topic - that makes a lot of sense.