Muffler on its way out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found some skunk hair in my tailpipe today. Or, so I thought. I kept pulling and pulling, thinking it's a prank of some sort. Pulled out quite a bit. Turns out, it's fiberglass batting used in the muffler to suppress sound. All internet research points to a imminent muffler failure. To be honest, the batting was stuffed in the tailpipe so tight, I'm surprised my engine didn't die during the 4hr drive.

The truck is 5 years old, and 76k miles. Will be replacing all exhaust components from the cat back.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 22.34.08.jpg

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found some skunk hair in my tailpipe today. Or, so I thought. I kept pulling and pulling, thinking it's a prank of some sort. Pulled out quite a bit. Turns out, it's fiberglass batting used in the muffler to suppress sound. All internet research points to a imminent muffler failure. To be honest, the batting was stuffed in the tailpipe so tight, I'm surprised my engine didn't die during the 4hr drive.

The truck is 5 years old, and 76k miles. Will be replacing all exhaust components from the cat back.

View attachment 77796
The Grudge

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 77796

The muffler and related parts may be covered under your vehicle’s emission warranty.

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The muffler and related parts may be covered under your vehicle’s emission warranty.
Happened to me earlier in May 2023, mine is a 2019 with about 85K on the clock. Took it to dealer, and they said it's not covered under warranty, and I even have the extended warranty from Ford which is good until 120k miles (bumper to bumper). They said it's $950 to replace the muffler. I don't really notice anything abnormal happening with the car, I did use a wire hanger to snag and pull all the remaining fibers out and seems fine. Sounds a bit better IMO as well.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has it even gotten louder? If not, why bother replacing it..... It might just be the guts from the rear resonator....

Spma

Reaction score
Doesn’t seem any louder, but what you can see is basically all that came out. I tried pulling it out and it just tore off, so there is likely still a lot of batting in there.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a problem unless it's causing driveability problems. $950 for a muffle is outrageous. Maybe for a catalytic converter. You can probably take it to Midas Muffler and get it replaced for half that.