Multi Issue - Car Dies On Slope/Gas Gauge/EVAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So last night I was sitting in my 01 Expy on a fairly declined slope (facing downward) when suddenly my car died after a few minutes. I took out my OBD reader and saw that there was a new small EVAP leak code. So I checked the gas cap, and notice that the cap was fairly loose. So I thought "okay I'll buy a new one soon". But what caused my engine to die? Not by a small vapor leak, right? That's when I decided to put the truck in neutral and park on a more level surface. Vehicle started right up. The fuel pump was no longer sucking the fuel in on the slope is what I gathered. I replicated the issue just to make sure, and then ran the truck on level surface for about 10 minutes without any issues. Drove about an hour after that without it dieing on me.

Another thing.. earlier that day, my gas gauge took a long time go up when I put gas in the vehicle. My tank appeared to be almost half way full. I put 6 gallons in and expected the gauge to rise immediately. Instead, it took long to finally get to where I guess it should have been. Not sure if this is related, but thought I'd throw it in.

Do our Expys die if they're at too much of a slope, due to poor tank design or something? Thanks.

Last edited:

jpeltzel

Reaction score
Hey there Ulver, I'm searching for a fuel pump issue I have and saw your post. From my experience with my 2000 are as follows. My truck will also not start or will die if parked on a down slope and low on fuel (90% of the time with my truck and yes i know its not good for the fuel pump, but tell that to my wallet :)). It also does the same thing if I only put in 15.00 or less of fuel. i believe its actually in the owners manual, but for some reason it takes 20+ minutes for the gauge to register a certain amount of new fuel added.
Anyhoo's I hope that helps, I know it was a month ago when you posted but better late the never right?

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Mine has always done the same when fuel is below 1/4 tank & parked on a downslope(like my driveway). Mine is a 2wd, so it sits nose down a bit anyway. Add the driveway slope & I assume it starves the tank funnel.

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine. I started filling mine up as soon as the display switches from average mpg to distance until empty

OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck hasn't had that issue ever since I've kept the tank at a certain level and stopped parking downward on slopes.. so yeah.. just a funky fuel tank. Lol