My 15 ecoboost saga....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would ask proof of stretched chain. as in lay the old one next to the new one and do a rel accurate measurement, not saying its cant happen.....but with the miles you have, its very unlikely. a chain tensioner screwing up, yes, but chain hmmm doubtful

OP
OP
C

cmykpro

Reaction score
i would ask proof of stretched chain. as in lay the old one next to the new one and do a rel accurate measurement, not saying its cant happen.....but with the miles you have, its very unlikely. a chain tensioner screwing up, yes, but chain hmmm doubtful
I stopped down there this afternoon. He showed me where the links had stretched by over three teeth. He said he had seen it before on low mile ecoboosts but it was rare. I believe my chain was made on a mexican Friday....

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not all that rare for premature timing chain stretch on the 3.5L. On early units this was fairly common, less common now after changes but still an occurrence.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my eyes the only way a timing chain stretch’s in that low of mileage is 1-defective chain,2-Extreme RPM’s and heat,or 3- mechanical failure causing engine to stop dead abruptly. I’m pretty sure it’s not because of number 2 or 3. Maybe Ford had a batch of chains that where never heat treated properly.... who knows?

OP
OP
C

cmykpro

Reaction score
Well got the truck back Friday and finally thought we had this solved! New timing chain, seals, etc. Everything was great until today when the same damn code came back on.... They have had our truck approximately 6 weeks total in and out. Im assuming the lemon law doesn't apply to a vehicle with 50,000 miles but is there anything I can do? I am so tired of not having my truck and making the payments.....

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well got the truck back Friday and finally thought we had this solved! New timing chain, seals, etc. Everything was great until today when the same damn code came back on.... They have had our truck approximately 6 weeks total in and out. Im assuming the lemon law doesn't apply to a vehicle with 50,000 miles but is there anything I can do? I am so tired of not having my truck and making the payments.....
Have them dig deep into the codes. My wife's 2015 Explorer Sport would fall on its face and lack power. After several weeks at the dealer they pulled in a regional tech who found that the truck's computer believed that the truck had been in an accident and was defaulting to a limp mode type of thing.

They cleared whatever code was telling the computer that it was in an accident and everything has been fine since.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I used this law firm in Ohio for an Ohio lemon law repurchase. They did excellent work: http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/

I have NO connection to the firm other than I was a client at one time.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cmykpro

Reaction score
Well it keeps getting better. Truck went back yet again mid last week. I went ahead and started the Better Business Bureau arbitration as it has been in the shop 8+ times and over 30 days. Apparently they only replaced one of the turbos during this saga and Ford is now telling them to replace the other...

So let's recap;
30+ days without our Expedition
8+ times dropping the truck off for the same engine code
1 Turbo replaced
Timing Chain replaced
Now 2nd turbo is getting replaced.

The truck has 50,000 miles so I'm not sure what will come of the arbitration but I would think its safe to say they are unable to fix this truck.

Any bets on what they do for me during arbitration?

OP
OP
C

cmykpro

Reaction score
And just to clarify, I'm a huge proponent of Ford. I baked bagels when I was 16 to buy my first car which was a 1967 Mustang GT fastback. I have had countless Ford's since then and plan on having more. I'm hoping they stand behind me on this so that I can in good conscience continue to be a loyal Ford owner...

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My son is an attorney....and he says that manufacturers settle most lemon-law cases quickly and to the owners satisfaction then require sealed court docs so word "doesn't get out".

jeff