My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
Doing something about the noise level inside the cabin has long been on my list of to-do. I finally did something about it.

For the longest time I was really leaning toward using the Lizard Skin line of products: their sound deadener and thermal insulation. But the application process seemed pretty daunting. Plus it seemed like you needed to do it all in one shot. Then I ran across Noico Sound Deadener on Amazon. It got great reviews and seemed inexpensive. I ordered 4 boxes (actually I ordered 5 but only used 4). It’s very similar to Dynamat- although maybe not as thick. I also got some Reflectix heat insulation from the local big box store.

I first started with the doors. Removed the door cards and cleaned up the metal.
88A07704-36D4-453D-B1E4-8C90ABC49551.jpg

Then applied the Noico as best I could to the inner and outer metal skins.
F0A3C7FD-0BD2-4541-B48A-3DE0CEC14E20.jpg

And then on the inside of the door card, I cut the Reflectix to fit and taped it in place.
0862D6F5-229A-4DB7-9CD5-28800F1A5228.jpg

I did the same thing to the hatch. What I noticed on the hatch was that it had several L shaped feet that went from the inner door skin to the outer door skin and were supposed to be “glued” in place. Well that glue was no linger sticky and that L was free and wiggle and vibrate. I applied the Noico in such a way that the L was being held in place to the outer door skin. Doing this really helped to deaden the panel.

About a month later, I stripped the interior to start on the big chunk.
B62B5979-61D3-4FBE-AC5F-91E44C2B8710.jpg

Similar to the hatch, the roof’s cross beams were no longer bonded to the roof skin. This allowed the entire roof skin to vibrate like a drum head. Again, I applied the Noico such that it joined them back together.

On a road trip one summer my wife commented on how warm the floor was getting. As you can see here, the factory sound deadening would get soft and the jute backing of the carpet would get stuck to it over time.
91D3281A-1016-40F9-8846-ADAD929BA61E.jpg

Noico applied. I pretty much did only a single layer with as close to 100% coverage as possible.
A768A80C-67F6-4A4E-B5B0-D470D599DF4C.jpg

And again, I applied the Reflectix to the floor and ceiling:
87F754CF-4C6E-4F2A-BD50-7190E7DF535F.jpg

I did drive around before I started with a decibel meter on my phone to get a baseline. I haven’t repeated the test exactly the same since I’ve been done but I’d say the results of the project are positive. It might not be a huge decrease in decibels, but everything seems to feel very solid now. It hasn’t been super hot out since I’ve been done, but even coming back out to it in the parking after awhile, the interior seems like it’s cooler than what it would have been normally.
I did this decades ago with my first new car, 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback. I also layered carpet foam insulation over it. The after market stereo system I had sounded better and the doors sounded like a Lexus, but other than that, I didn't feel a difference. But I felt better knowing I had done it!

Wal92tt

Reaction score
Every vehicle now has a beam in the doors. Over time, the bead of caulking used to seal the door skin against the beam separates, causing it to sound horrible when you close the doors. This happened on our MDX. I redid the caulking and it sounded like a high-end suv again! This is an easy fix/trick which makes a noticeable difference! It's worth a try....

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cooler... Good. Insulation..... Good. Sound... I couldn't care less.

Mr_Neutron

Reaction score
Gonna be doing that this weekend - towing a Honda Civic to Portland, OR from San Diego and towing a Suburu Impreza back. Just did a timing job, new oil pump, new water pump, spark plugs and boots two weeks ago. Hey, the Expy is running just dandy...

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Earlier this year I signed up for the lifetime alignment deal at the local Firestone service station. I got it on a deal too- they had some coupons running. I’m now on my 2nd alignment in about 6 months so it’s starting to pay for itself.

When I got the alignment the first time, the guy said that he got it aligned but my steering gear was worn out. I had grown accustomed to it and didn’t really notice. And he said that even though the tires are straight, he couldn’t get the steering wheel straight. I’m not exactly sure why but it served as a reminder to replace the steering gear.

Enter Red Head Steering Gears. Sure I could have saved some money and gone with a regular rebuilt steering gear, but I wanted one that wasn’t just rebuilt, but it was improved on. Red Head rebuilds their steering gears with better quality components. I have one on my Explorer as well.
upload_2019-8-10_11-48-21.jpeg

Installation was OK. Required a little wrestling to get it on. Getting the hard lines threaded back on was the hardest part- getting them lined up perfectly to start the threads......

Immediate impressions were great. I’m fairly certain Red Head doesn’t adjust the steering ratio, but without all the slop in the new steering gear, the truck is super responsive now.

Took it for an alignment this morning. Steering wheel is straight again! I just took a camping trip that involved some 4wd on some rocky trails. While driving around town, my tires would squeal like crazy while taking turns- it was like I was pushing hard through the corner when I wasn’t. I’m thinking my bad toe setting was at fault here.
A387B346-9616-4323-A48F-AC71BC307761.jpeg

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Tom, my names craig. I was going through your post and noticed that your rear a/c is in the center console??? Why is it there? Also I noticed that you have the same radiator fan kit as me, and was hoping you could help me with the connection to the a/c (which wire) also where you ran your switched power to? Thank you