My 2nd most expensive endeavor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'll hand out free labor like its going out of style but not the parts. You buy the parts and I'll work like a dog if need be to get it done.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Adieu bro u want the shit to last the entire lease time of a year or two (and then some) or do you want it to last only a week or two? Think logical bro the Chinese dont deliver QUALITY! I dont want to tell my little bro here its fixed then 2 weeks later having him call me back over non sense telling me it isnt working and what's not! When it comes to electronics its japanise made or its nothing!

Japan doesnt do that price point much anymore

Also im not sure theres actually all that many sources for led CHIPS, so what's actually inside is likely to come from about 4 potential sources only iirc...

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Japan doesnt do that price point much anymore

Also im not sure theres actually all that many sources for led CHIPS, so what's actually inside is likely to come from about 4 potential sources only iirc...
The leds aren't the things that fail in most cases. Its the driver components which are made by many different companies.

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
The solar panels, diodes & capacitors are Japanese made, the inverter & transformers is American made. I have a list of all the parts if any one needs it lol

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The solar panels, diodes & capacitors are Japanese made, the inverter & transformers is American made. I have a list of all the parts if any one needs it lol

Actually I would be interested. In the next year or so I plan to adding lighting to a yard shade and would rather not bury cables from the house out.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Why on earth would you invert and transform 12v DC.... for use in a device that reverts everything right back to 12v DC inside it????

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Just to somewhat clarify, This is how I have it set up:
Panels to inverter, then inverter to a filtering transformer, filtering transformer is sending power to a capacitor but theres diodes inline before the capacitor (transformer isn't grounded to the best "ground") after the capacitor I was getting between 133-136V ac so I added another transformer that is 120 to 120 which neutralized the 136v to 117v... that is then being delivered to a GFCI receptacle. Every component and wire is hidden out of view too (I'm skipping alot of the details though)

Why on earth would you invert and transform 12v DC.... for use in a device that reverts everything right back to 12v DC inside it????

to answer your question precisely, I didn't care what he needed the receptacle for, all I wanted to know is amperage/wattage/voltage requirements needed, and even if I did I knew it was going to be a crap load of led lights I would still do all that i did as the original promise was to add an outdoor receptacle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ps. He told me his neighbors were a little too jealous and some even reported him for breaking the lease agreement, but once the maintenance lead visited his apartment for an "inspection" and saw what was done he was given the Ok. They told him he didn't need to bury the panel enclosure but I did that to prevent thieves from looting it

@Dorzak it depends on how many watts you're gonna be running, I recommend finding out what you'll need to turn on and PM (whenever you're ready) cause this set up might be an overkill for you, I can still supply you with part numbers for what you'll actually need

Last edited: