My AutoCool III Electric Fan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here is my thread on installing an electric fan setup in my 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 5.4L. The controller I went with was an AutoCool III from they GREAT guys at Autocoolguy.com.
It is NOT a relay style, rather whats called a " Pulse Width Modulated " with " Soft Start ". The short and skinny version is that the fans + wires are connected right to the + of the vehicles battery and the fans - wires are connected to the fan controller. The fan controller then pulses the ground of the fans depending on the temp of the coolant, the hotter the coolant temp the faster the fans will run and vice-versa.
I had a hard time finding a place to put this controller inside the engine bay, so I ended up putting it in the front center console. I removed the CD Changer and Bracket, I was then able to use the the cd changers bracket to mount the controller and It was a PERFECT fit!!! The red switch you see on top of the bracket is the " Fail Safe Switch. It's used to turn the fans on full speed incase the controller fails or you feel the need to have additional cooling ( towing etc..... )
IMG_1902.JPG

The method of sensing the coolant temp was done, not at the inlet of the radiator, but rather at the radiators outlet hose going back to the engine. I had to use an inline style brass sensor hose fitting. It was a little bit of a challenge because the lower radiator hose does not have much in the way of straight sections ( lots of bends in this hose ) to place the inline sensor housing in. As you can see below, I was able to hide the hole housing inside the radiator hose.
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG

The fans I ordered came from Amazon and were 16" ProComp 2500cfm. With a little trimming on the flat
sides of the fan housing, they fit perfectly inside the width of the radiator, no fear of coverage here :)
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG

Got it all wired and buttoned up. Initial testing has been VERY positive indeed, 200deg F at thermostat housing and 170-175deg F at lower radiator hose. I can definitely feel a better throttle response without the heavy drag from he mechanical fan/clutch. I have yet to hook up the fan controller to the A/C Clutch 12V and will be taking it to my mechanic for that. The A/C is brand new and is still under warranty, He said I would not void the warranty by hooking it up myself, I just feel better with him doing it. This controller also has a pretty cool feature I wanted to mention. When you shut the engine down, the fans continue to run for 10sec to help with heat soak. Hope this thread pushes you guys/girls that are sitting on the fence about doing this conversion, I think it is WELL WORTH IT!!!!!

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks ExplorerTom. I just went through your entire build thread for your 2000, and after what you have accomplished with your Expy, that's a great compliment!! Thanks

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So a little update. Finally got the a/c clutch wired into the fan controller and fans kick on as they should when a/c clutch engages. It was a hot one the other day here in AZ, a/c blew nice and cold even at idle. Using my temp gun, temps around the engine did not exceed 205-210deg F. I did notice that the voltage gauge on the dash was lower than I usually see it at. Sure enough, measured the voltage at the battery and it was 13.2V. Received and installed new alternator today and voltage now reads 14.3V!! I am still very impressed with the AutoCool III controller I bought, best investment so far.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So another update. Fans and controller are still working great! Using my wifi OBDII transmitter and iphone Dashcommand app my temps are staying right around 195-201* F in hot Arizona temps. The one thing I did notice though was my fan controller seemed very warm to the touch, I could hold my finger on it for no more than 10sec. I installed dual fans powered by an ignition 12V source so they come on at startup and they now keep it nice and cool too ( 100- 110* F ). image.jpeg

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
Amazing i love it how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the compliment. Altogether: fans, controller and wiring= $400. It sounds expensive, but it is totally worth it

hartsemperfi

Reaction score
Thats not bad at all can u post more pics of how you attached the fans to the rad? And how the a/c fan was wired in.