My new refrigerator runs too cold

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1955moose, May 14, 2019.

1. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

I hope you mean 0 degrees for the freezer PB! The typical fridge will vary in internal temp by up to 4 degrees side to side and top to bottom but still 37-39 is the favored range while freezer settings tend to be 0-5 degrees. Some foods will not freeze at 20.

So Moose, what's the verdict? Fixed now?

jeff

2. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Nope, not really. The second guy came out Monday. Said my problem was my ice trays dripping water into freezer floor. This guy didn't even bother checking anything. He realigned the freezer door, but that was it. I'm tired of fighting. The techs won't condemn it for replacement, it works, I'll put up with it till I move or die. At my age coming up on 64, the latters more likely!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

3. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

If it is still freezing the food, I'd keep calling GE for service - every week if needed. It has a warranty so use it. Eventually it will get to a point where they are spending more on the service calls than just replacing the unit.
    A pic of a thermostat setting and a thermometer reading for each service call will help.

4. 1955moose

It's actually bouncing between 35-39 degrees these days. I get so tired of dealing with morons. This is why years ago I learned to work on my own cars/motorcycles. And seeing how much crud our members go through here, I really don't want a new car. Stamp, for now I just deal with it. Actually my packaged lettuce that I like, is still eatable. I just buy one bag at a time. When I worked for Sears years back, we had good techs. Both TV, and appliance. Everybody's a Mr know it all these days. They don't want to put in the diagnostic, just say we couldn't duplicate a problem. Stamp, we read about it here everyday with the Ford's!

Eagle 71 likes this.
  5. stamp11127

I see your problem, you are expecting the new breed of "tech" to think and learn the way we have.
    Isn't going to happen. Since the web and smartphones are everywhere that is the new method of "learning" - don't know the answer to something, just ask Siri or Bing.

I enjoy it now. Most of the students don't read the chapter, don't pay close enough attention in class and end up not fully understanding the labs. Then, during the lab they ask for help, my reply "did you read the chapter?" NO, well sorry, I've covered the chapter and you didn't ask questions at that time. I guess you will just have to figure it out or better yet, ask Siri or Bing! The look on their face is a true Kodak moment!

I let them struggle for a while then look over their shoulder and hit them with a bunch of questions on how things are supposed to work. That usually heads them in the right direction.
    I also tell them, you may think of me as an ass, but you will learn something in the process.

Trainmaster and 1955moose like this.
  6. 1955moose

Ironically both the techs they sent weren't young. The first one was in his late 30's, the second, a Russian guy, even older than that. Funny you said about using phone, first thing they both did was snap a pic of the bar code inside door. I guess that's the id tag with model #.

7. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Dang, someone with critical thinking skills! Stamp obviously was not the recipient of a Common Core education...funny how that shows in life so often isn't it? Wise is the person who can let the young learn how to learn.

Moose, sorry to hear you still aren't happy. Ever think it's cause your a grumpy old fart? LMAO....just teasing brother, you are just warming up, not at the "end of your turn" as I recently heard it put so eloquently! I'm a wee bit younger by 3 but other than that life-changing insomnia, the emphysema and a knee that has seen more knives than a late night tv channel. I deal with sleep when I can(last night got me 7.5undrugged hours) but as you see, I'm up at 2am but its not the end of the world, either is it that I can't play full-court ball anymore or climb mountains anymore but that's about it....and I'm absolutely as much an extrovert as I was at 25 so pretty much everything but the women(engaged now) are/is on the table to still do. While I do enjoy being able with my white hair, to "geezer it up" for special service occasionally, I usually am shocked when I see video of myself being so old....I take that as a good sign. If you've got a scrap of health...don't ever slow down because we all know what happens, we've watched it all our lives....people get old, they slow down and they die....don't be like that....we all have that choice. My dad used to say that if you are going to get old, you'd better be tough......

jeff

1955moose likes this.
  8. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Nice words.

I believe refrigerators are designed to maintain 37 degrees, so you're right on. Naturally if it's packed full of empty month-old ice cream and Chinese food containers, air won't circulate and you get hot and cold spots.

Around here "technicians" are people who can't get any other work, are in the county illegally or don't speak English. The jobs pay poorly and the feeling is that anyone can be taught to change parts, especially those who can't or don't want to read. A pity.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    1955moose likes this.
  9. 1955moose

Jeff, I know what you mean. Since I'm not working these days, I grew a beard. Haven't had one since around 1978. With my extra pounds and gut, and lots of grey in my beard, should be a perfect Santa Claus this December. Now if I could deal with kids peeing on my lap, I might consider it! Between the grey and black mix, I look like a fat raccoon!

10. stamp11127

Wear a red shirt and tell the little kiddies you are watching them, and you know who they are!

powerboatr likes this.