Name that noise... Whirring from front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pw1981

Reaction score
I am having a bizarre noise from the front end of my Expedition (2018 Limited, 41k miles, purchased a certified used).

I would describe it as a whirring type noise. It is not loud and, if the radio is up above 6, I can only hear it because I know its there. It does not seem to be there at low speeds. It's almost as if it 'turns on' at 30mph - almost on the mark every time. You cannot hear it with the windows down, it's low enough that the wind noise masks it. It's louder on the driver side than passenger side. It sounds like its coming from the wheel well area or front of the engine, but it is really hard to tell. I have tried to record it, but I can't hear the noise in the recording.

Initially, I thought it was tire noise because I have Uniroyal tires which are kind of prone to be loud. But I have had those since I bought it at 28K and this noise is new.

Then my mind went to bearings/hub. However, the noise does not seem to be speed dependent. Its 'on' or 'off' It comes on at around 30mpg and remains audible until around 65mph at which point its basically drowned out by road/wind noise. It is also not a grinding noise like wheel hubs would normally produce.

Then I was thinking some sort of failing harmonic balancer or pulley noise on the engine, but that should be speed dependent I would think.

If someone told me it was the whirr of an electric motor, I would believe it. But I can't imagine what that might be coming from outside the passenger compartment and only on at speed. If it was an e-fan, it would more likely be on with the vehicle at rest for cooling.

Its one of those noises that is driving me crazy because I hear it. And now that I hear it, it is all I can hear.

My dealership service department options close to home don't have the greatest track record for me, so I figured I would consult the brain trust before I make an appointment.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am having a bizarre noise from the front end of my Expedition (2018 Limited, 41k miles, purchased a certified used).

I would describe it as a whirring type noise. It is not loud and, if the radio is up above 6, I can only hear it because I know its there. It does not seem to be there at low speeds. It's almost as if it 'turns on' at 30mph - almost on the mark every time. You cannot hear it with the windows down, it's low enough that the wind noise masks it. It's louder on the driver side than passenger side. It sounds like its coming from the wheel well area or front of the engine, but it is really hard to tell. I have tried to record it, but I can't hear the noise in the recording.

Initially, I thought it was tire noise because I have Uniroyal tires which are kind of prone to be loud. But I have had those since I bought it at 28K and this noise is new.

Then my mind went to bearings/hub. However, the noise does not seem to be speed dependent. Its 'on' or 'off' It comes on at around 30mpg and remains audible until around 65mph at which point its basically drowned out by road/wind noise. It is also not a grinding noise like wheel hubs would normally produce.

Then I was thinking some sort of failing harmonic balancer or pulley noise on the engine, but that should be speed dependent I would think.

If someone told me it was the whirr of an electric motor, I would believe it. But I can't imagine what that might be coming from outside the passenger compartment and only on at speed. If it was an e-fan, it would more likely be on with the vehicle at rest for cooling.

Its one of those noises that is driving me crazy because I hear it. And now that I hear it, it is all I can hear.

My dealership service department options close to home don't have the greatest track record for me, so I figured I would consult the brain trust before I make an appointment.

I assume it’s not the turbo because you say it “comes on” at a consistent speed, but I know I had to get used to the turbo “whoosh” having never driven anything with a turbo. It’s not a blowoff noise, it’s just, well, a whoosh. So it might be that. Maybe turn your boost gauge on on your gauge cluster and see if the noise corresponds with higher boost.

If you have a 4wd (and are in 4wd, of course) that system also makes a bit of a noise. Nothing obtrusive, just “extra” driveline noise ... I’m trying to think if I hear it at lower speeds or just around town, i.e. not on the freeway ... can’t remember. But there’s definitely some mechanical noise emanating from the front end when you’re in 4wd that isn’t there in 2wd.

Those are my only guesses. Well, other than a possum living under your hood...maybe rule that out too.

Good luck!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IWE's make a scraping sound. Try slipping it into 4wd when it happens and then take it out of 4wd. See if the noise changes. If it goes away in 4wd its the IWE's.

jjy168

Reaction score
I had a similar whir sound at 29k. Very subtle and only above certain speed and then never gets any louder. I had the tech rode in the car with me and he barely heard it but he suggested to replace the front wheel bearing. No more noise after that.

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
I had a similar whir sound at 29k. Very subtle and only above certain speed and then never gets any louder. I had the tech rode in the car with me and he barely heard it but he suggested to replace the front wheel bearing. No more noise after that.

After studying this noise some more. I am convinced it's the wheel bearing. The only way I can affect the noise in motion is with steering input, which leads me to conclude its in the moving parts of the wheel and not on the engine.

I was able to record a video that I think may make the noise audible for people. I am driving around 35mph when it starts then there is various driving before I stop. Near the end, the noise is pretty audible as it comes back up and I get up to about 40mph. I uploaded it to Youtube

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my driverside wheel hub/IWE replaced back in Sept, it would vibrate (sounded like lightly running over rumble strips) the steering wheel at 35+ MPH during slight turns on the interstate.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my driverside wheel hub/IWE replaced back in Sept, it would vibrate (sounded like lightly running over rumble strips) the steering wheel at 35+ MPH during slight turns on the interstate.

I wonder if my wheel bearings are going. I don’t recall my expedition not being smooth and after returning from a road trip I’d say it never feels smooth anymore, even on nice roads. Always has a little vibration in the steering wheel as you gain speed. Nothing major but feels as if you’re always riding on a highway made of the more industrial type asphalt not perfectly smooth like a brand new parking lot would feel if that makes sense.

Perhaps it’s always been like that (owned 3 months now) and I’m just now noticing after the “wow” factor of the expedition has worn off. I have always driven luxury / semi luxury brands so maybe it’s just normal...? It’s not bad, but I don’t think I noticed it until 3 weeks ago give or take and not even sure others would notice it unless I pointed it out.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if my wheel bearings are going. I don’t recall my expedition not being smooth and after returning from a road trip I’d say it never feels smooth anymore, even on nice roads. Always has a little vibration in the steering wheel as you gain speed. Nothing major but feels as if you’re always riding on a highway made of the more industrial type asphalt not perfectly smooth like a brand new parking lot would feel if that makes sense.

Perhaps it’s always been like that (owned 3 months now) and I’m just now noticing after the “wow” factor of the expedition has worn off. I have always driven luxury / semi luxury brands so maybe it’s just normal...? It’s not bad, but I don’t think I noticed it until 3 weeks ago give or take and not even sure others would notice it unless I pointed it out.

I bought mine with the bad wheel hub too. I noticed it a week after and took it to Ford Service and they confirmed it to be bad & replaced it under warranty.

post work, BIG difference, rides baby smooth! Get it looked at.