Napa's triton sparkplug blowout fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plexo50

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time reader. Search function did nothing so I have to ask if there's ever been a successful repair(let's say 10k miles on repair) after using a cheap alternative like this. Not sure if he blew the metal shavings out of the cylinder.

Spark Plug Thread Repair - YouTube

Not looking to get flamed. Just trying to gauge a trend for what works best and what might be overkill for a stock 240k mileage engine that probably won't make it past next year.

Last edited:

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems like it would work. if the engine was newer i would say do it right (re tap with STI thread and insert helicoil) but that requires removing the whole intake manifold and draining coolant which takes a little more then an hour total. It took me way longer on the first time(4 hrs at least). This should keep it running until u decide to sell or it breaks. It seems like they are just inserting a self tapping insert which is pretty simple as is. Give it a shot!

OP
OP
P

Plexo50

Reaction score
I think I might just for ***** and giggles. I don't really care about this old maroon/beige hooptie with 200k+ miles. When I get my next "nice" Expo, I think I'll time-sert all eight or try the cal-van kit. The only issue would be questionable materials and not swaging the insert as a final "seal".

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cylinder #3 on my 5.4 blew at 62k miles. a helicoil was used and i now have almost 90k on it with no issues.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Helocoils are actually are better for threads then just tapped aluminum. Aluminum threads love to gum up. I make parts for aerospace and most threaded applications made from aluminum are helocoiled because they are way more reliable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants