Need a decent Timing Chain Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03 Expedition 5.4 4x4 EB

Trying to find a Timing Chain Kit with the updated/revised chain rails for my rig.
And not having much luck and about to pull my hair out..lol
Does anyone have a link to one that they used or recommend?
Auto Zone has a Duralast brand kit.
I'm doing the water pump also.
And I want to upgrade the oil pump also to the recommended high pressure pump.
If any can help finding who Carry's it.

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a Melling kit with cast iron tensioners from Rock Auto. The 2 valve motors don't have the oil pressure problems the 3 valve motors have with feeding oil to the overhead cams. If you run a good synthetic 10w-30 oil you won't have oil pressure problems. But there is a replacement Melling oil pump there at Rock Auto as well if you want one.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2003,expedition,5.4l+v8,1411119,engine,timing+set,5756
I noticed that a lot of the kits don't offer the camshaft sprockets. Is it really necessary to Change those also?

Besides the oil pump any other suggestions on why my low oil pressure light stays on ?
Since I'm going to be digging into it this weekend if like to fix that also.
It's always been on and always has oil..idk

I'm looking to get this kit ?
a1758caab26eb79abc11d2ece99f78b4.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you getting any clacking when you start the motor? If your oil pressure was low enough to trigger the low oil pressure light you usually hear other noise in the motor. Could just be the sending unit. Are you using a synthetic 10w-30 oil ? You don't have to change the sprockets if they're in good shape.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you getting any clacking when you start the motor? If your oil pressure was low enough to trigger the low oil pressure light you usually hear other noise in the motor. Could just be the sending unit. Are you using a synthetic 10w-30 oil ? You don't have to change the sprockets if they're in good shape.

Very audible clacking on startup for the first five seconds then goes away that's why I'm doing the timing chain kit the low oil pressure light has been on for the past 7 years and the oil I use is Valvoline maxlife 5w20.
No other noises coming from the motor that I can tell and yes I forgot about the oil sending unit so I'm going to go ahead and order that too.
And while I got it on the lift I'm also going to drop the transfer case and replace the input shaft seal on it because it is full of transmission fluid so therefore I'm going to be dropping the transmission pan and putting fresh transmission fluid in.

Thank you for your help sir

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a stupid question but I need to replace my lower radiator hose. The is two different kinds one with oil cooler and one without.
Which one is mine ? I do have a transmission cooler attach to my radiator. Is it referring to that ?
Thanks

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a stupid question but I need to replace my lower radiator hose. The is two different kinds one with oil cooler and one without.
Which one is mine ? I do have a transmission cooler attach to my radiator. Is it referring to that ?
Thanks

yes trans cooler would be the 2nd one if i remember correctly

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sscharlie

Reaction score
I just put the Melling kit in my 04 2v. Good thing I did because the plastic chain tensioners were blown out. Got the cast iron tensioners Melling kit. Hardest part was getting the power steering bolt out of the front case. Bolt snapped off and had to weld a nut on the stud and heat the front cover up with a torch to get it out.

20190905_103547 (1).jpg

New Melling kit and oil pump
20190910_184544.jpg

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put the Melling kit in my 04 2v. Good thing I did because the plastic chain tensioners were blown out. Got the cast iron tensioners Melling kit. Hardest part was getting the power steering bolt out of the front case. Bolt snapped off and had to weld a nut on the stud and heat the front cover up with a torch to get it out.

View attachment 32339

View attachment 32340
I'm fixing to start on mine here n a couple weeks. Thanks for sharing the pictures and heads up on the power steering pump bolt [emoji106]
I did get the melling kit also and the melling oil pump. And a oil sending unit as mine keeps saying low oil pressure.

OP
OP
scoot0073

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 32339

View attachment 32340
My new cast iron chain tensioners doesn't have a oring groove ? Does the cast iron chain tensioners not get nothing ? Oring or gasket