Need a new transmission - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REM8074

Reaction score
2017 Expedition EL, roughly 175,000 miles. Transmission has never slipped ever. We do tow our pontoon about 10 miles roundtrip a handful of times per year but that's it. Was parked the other night and when I tried to leave it would not engage in drive or reverse. The gear shift did move, but the car would not. Took it in and am told I need a new transmission. Options are new Ford transmission $6600, new other brand transmission $6400, used Ford transmission with 78,000 miles $3200 or rebuilt transmission for between $4000 - $4500. Thoughts on what to do here? We are primarily deciding between the last two options. In the last year, we have put a whole new AC in this car and a new rear differential for a total of $5000 or more.

The used Ford tranny comes with 12,000-mile warranty. The rebuilt one is unlimited mileage or 1 year.

Any insight is appreciated!!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 Expedition EL, roughly 175,000 miles. Transmission has never slipped ever. We do tow our pontoon about 10 miles roundtrip a handful of times per year but that's it. Was parked the other night and when I tried to leave it would not engage in drive or reverse. The gear shift did move, but the car would not. Took it in and am told I need a new transmission. Options are new Ford transmission $6600, new other brand transmission $6400, used Ford transmission with 78,000 miles $3200 or rebuilt transmission for between $4000 - $4500. Thoughts on what to do here? We are primarily deciding between the last two options. In the last year, we have put a whole new AC in this car and a new rear differential for a total of $5000 or more.

The used Ford tranny comes with 12,000-mile warranty. The rebuilt one is unlimited mileage or 1 year.

Any insight is appreciated!!

A Ford remanufactured transmission, installed by the dealer, has a 3-year or 100,000 miles nationwide warranty (whatever comes first): https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/oasis/service_warranty/FCS_8405_AG.indd.pdf

OP
OP
R

REM8074

Reaction score

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where can I get one of these? The used Ford one our mechanic offered for $3200 is not remanufactured. It's just used. I'm guessing it's coming out of a salvaged Expedition.

Your dealer or mechanic can easily check for the availability of a remanufactured one.

OGBobbyJohnson

Reaction score
I had mine replaced with a used one with 65k on it for 1800 in sarasota florida from a transmission shop.. 2 years and 63k later, still going strong.

timo482

Reaction score
Used and aftermarket reman is a big risk. You have to have a warrenty or the $ ability to do it again

OGBobbyJohnson

Reaction score
i got a 1 year 12k warranty on mine plus i could do it twice for the price he is getting. if your mechanic is reputable, he is buying reputable transmissions and will back it.

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
Ok, first things first, there is no such thing as a new transmission unless you buy a new car. They are all remanufactured, whether using your core and rebuilding it or them being built in some type of 'assembly line' setting.

As someone who runs a shop that rebuilds the customer's unit, that is typically the best option as that was the unit in your vehicle. All 'soft parts' (clutches, seals, bushings, pistons, torque converter, etc.) are replaced. Hard parts (drums, planets, steels, etc.) are replaced as needed.

That being said, a Ford remanufactured, with the warranty they offer, is a pretty good option, especially if you travel.

Buying used can be super successful and, at times, super frustrating - you can get a bad one. At my shop, if that's the route you choose, you accept liability for the labor, my vendor will replace the unit for six months, but the labor is on you.

If the rebuild is from a good shop, with a good builder, and good installer, you should be ok, even with a one year warranty. If it doesn't fail by then, it should last as long as the original. The only other important thing is to make sure they use a good torque converter. Probably better with a locally built one versus some of the larger vendors - quality on those has really slipped recently.

Good luck.

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle is not that old but it does have 175k on it. If you plan on keeping until 275k or more, go with the new Ford transmission.

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
The vehicle is not that old but it does have 175k on it. If you plan on keeping until 275k or more, go with the new Ford transmission.
Find a quality local builder, even if you need to travel a little.

Done right, it should last as long as the original. Any problems you might have would likely present themselves pretty quick.