Need ANOTHER fan clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I am having to replace my fan clutch on a yearly basis now. This one will be #3 in 3 yrs.......and yes, I'm using Motrcraft. Any ideas why ? Is there an "heavier" heavy duty available ? Should I be using the "reverse rotation" fan clutches ? This is getting to be a serious pain.

craig72

Reaction score
Can't say I have any suggestions for you, sorry. Just curious about what symptoms you see when it goes out? Does the fan just not spin up anymore? I wonder if they make electric fan kits for these trucks?

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't trust idiot lights so I have aftermarket gauges. My coolant temp has been starting to creep up over the last couple of weeks, and I have not been hearing my fan engage as soon as it used to. Toady it was running 205F on the interstate at 70mph. In stop/go traffic it was hitting 212-215F before the fan was engaging. For reference, it was 93F for outside ambient temp. I guess this time I'm going to try a "severe duty" and see what happens.

I've seen where people have used electric fans from other vehicles and adapted them, but I don't kow of any 1st gen specific kits.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score

I have a friend that runs this on his F150 work truck with a manual override so that it keeps cool AC while idling on hot days.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your fan is not needed above, I believe 25 MPH (it could be 35 mph - not sure). So, if yu are running hot at highway speeds, it is NOT a fan clutch.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your fan is not needed above, I believe 25 MPH (it could be 35 mph - not sure). So, if yu are running hot at highway speeds, it is NOT a fan clutch.
Actually, I would have said 40mph, but it still rings true. Of course the condenser of a high capacity A/C system can affect that by pre-heating the radiator air significantly. Assuming the thermostat is working correctly, I would do my best to verify that all the veins in the condenser and radiator are clear of debris and dirt. I'll take a garden hose or pressure washer to mine at least a couple of times during the Summer months. Also, verify that the coolant is clean and reasonably fresh. If anyone has added tap water, that could cause long term issues. Has the cooling system ever been cleaned and flushed? There are many bases to be covered.
One additional thing I could mention is I understand that there are many that preach only Motocraft parts, but many aftermarket fan clutches have lifetime warranties. O'Reilly has been great at simply swapping parts at no charge when I've had issues. If it was purchased using your phone number they don't even require a receipt. Lifetime warranty can be important. I just replaced all 4 of the struts on my 2011. That's a pretty fair chunk of change that I will never have to pay for again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, I would have said 40mph, but it still rings true. Of course the condenser of a high capacity A/C system can affect that by pre-heating the radiator air significantly. Assuming the thermostat is working correctly, I would do my best to verify that all the veins in the condenser and radiator are clear of debris and dirt. I'll take a garden hose or pressure washer to mine at least a couple of times during the Summer months. Also, verify that the coolant is clean and reasonably fresh. If anyone has added tap water, that could cause long term issues. Has the cooling system ever been cleaned and flushed? There are many bases to be covered.
One additional thing I could mention is I understand that there are many that preach only Motocraft parts, but many aftermarket fan clutches have lifetime warranties. O'Reilly has been great at simply swapping parts at no charge when I've had issues. If it was purchased using your phone number they don't even require a receipt. Lifetime warranty can be important. I just replaced all 4 of the struts on my 2011. That's a pretty fair chunk of change that I will never have to pay for again.
The radiator has been flushed...gets it once a year. I usually check and clean the rad & condenser coils if I have to remove the fan, shroud, or anything that actually lets me get in there. Interestingly enough, I cleaned everything when I replaced the fan clutch this morning. I didn't want to think I had to replace ANOTHER one, but I finally accepted it. It ran slightly warmer while on the interstate, but nothing worth talking about. However, as soon as I hit stop/go traffic, she started to climb. For reference, the dash gauge doesn't start to move until the engine hits about 220F.

After replacing the fan clutch this morning, I drove around for almost 2hrs in 93F heat/humidity. She never got above 202F, and that was only after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes due to an accident. Running 75-80mph she never got above 197F. So as much as I did not want to believe it needed another fan clutch, it apparently did. My only concern is I did not go with Motorcraft this time, and the unit is smaller than the Motorcraft unit. So we'll see how long this one lasts. I still need to hook up a trailer and see if she stays cool pulling a load.

OP
OP
tekrsq

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have a friend that runs this on his F150 work truck with a manual override so that it keeps cool AC while idling on hot days.

I use a similar Flex-a-lite kit on my 94 Ranger and it has worked very well. But like you said, just for reference.

I didn't know there was actually a kit for our trucks. That's pretty cool, but I can't justify that price tag. Besides, I have not had very good luck with electric fans. I've tried them on 2 Rangers, and an F150 I've had, and just could not keep the engine cool while pulling a trailer......on ANY of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze