Need help diagnosing vct timing issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
Background info:
5.4 with startup rattle, no power above 3500rpm
Replaced all 8 plugs with oe spec Motorcraft. Replaced clogged air filter.. replaced fuel filter both Motorcraft. Ran under load for fuel pressure test, ok. Replaced timing chain, tensioners, guides, phasers, solenoids with oe Ford parts. Replaced oil pump with Melling 340hv. Startup rattle is gone. Engine runs perfect until 3500. Discovered driver's side cat is clogged. Unclogged it, damaging b2s2 in the process. Engine runs awesome at all rpms until hot, bank 2 retarded. Code for b2s2 lean.
Pulled LH cover, cleaned solenoid. Same. Replaced oil and filter. Same. At low speed maneuvers when hot vct bank 1 goes 60° advance and bank 2 60° retard. Swapped cam sensors left to right. Same. What the hell why does one bank go advanced and the other retard at the same time? And only when hot????

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Background info:
5.4 with startup rattle, no power above 3500rpm
Replaced all 8 plugs with oe spec Motorcraft. Replaced clogged air filter.. replaced fuel filter both Motorcraft. Ran under load for fuel pressure test, ok. Replaced timing chain, tensioners, guides, phasers, solenoids with oe Ford parts. Replaced oil pump with Melling 340hv. Startup rattle is gone. Engine runs perfect until 3500. Discovered driver's side cat is clogged. Unclogged it, damaging b2s2 in the process. Engine runs awesome at all rpms until hot, bank 2 retarded. Code for b2s2 lean.
Pulled LH cover, cleaned solenoid. Same. Replaced oil and filter. Same. At low speed maneuvers when hot vct bank 1 goes 60° advance and bank 2 60° retard. Swapped cam sensors left to right. Same. What the hell why does one bank go advanced and the other retard at the same time? And only when hot????
It sounds like one of the new phasers is not working right.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of your engine after the phasers were installed and you did the timing procedure where we can see where the tines on the phasers are facing? I’m stumped. What is the degrees of advance @ resting position reading on both? I believe at rest it should be full advance. At WOT it should be at full retard on both banks. As you increase in the revs do both retard? Is one side staying in advance? 60 degrees of retard at low speed does not seem right either, like I said that is wide open throttle position. Trying to get a feel of which bank is screwing you here.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What to you mean by low speed maneuvers ? So phasers both start out fully advanced? Don't forget heat changes your oil pressure so maybe that's part of it. Both phasers should be the same but are you sure they are on right?

OP
OP
Keepinitoldskool

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.
Yes I have pics of the installation. Driver's side marks on the L and passenger side on the R.
Low speed maneuvers I mean coming to a stop, parking, reversing. It's only when it gets hot and coming to a stop.

I'm going to attach a picture of the timing going off while stopped.
20201025_204839.jpg

OP
OP
Keepinitoldskool

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
Don't know why that's so blurry. The graphs are:
Bank 1 vct duty cycle
Bank 2 vct duty cycle
Bank 1 vct error
Bank 2 vct error
Bank 1 vct advance
Bank 2 vct advance
Throttle position.
Everything operates normally until it decides to lose its mind.

Plati

Reaction score
Could that be part of your issues? My understanding is the CAT heats up and becomes a little chemical reaction factory. If its gutted and doesnt it do what is sposed to do then sensors are going to detect that and report bad numbers to the ECU. Then the ECU might start doing all kinds of wrong things to get the engine running right. Garbage In Garbage Out. Classic computer paradigm. I'm on the margins of understanding this so I'm just throwing it out there. I dunno. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357