Need help diagnosing vct timing issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Keepinitoldskool

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
I agree I thought the same but from the way it behaves and reacts it appears to be an oil pressure issue on the left bank. I would swap left and right oil solenoids, but on this motor that requires pulling both valve covers and I'd rather just change the oil first at this point.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am leaning more toward the driver VCT solenoid now. No power above 3500 rpm is a symptom of a bad vct. Maybe better to just put a new VCT in there even though you cleaned it. They redesigned them anyway and you never said what year it was. I am betting thicker oil will do nothing. Running perfectly 30+- minutes until you come to a stop is also a symptom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keepinitoldskool

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
Power loss above 3500 was fixed by gutting the LH catalytic.
Both phasers and solenoids are new oem Ford parts. I only took out that solenoid to see if the screen got clogged with sludge or debris, which it had not, so I sprayed it with some brakeclean and put it back in