Need help ID-ing issue with bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marksfps

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have searched, but the exact question I have I cannot find.
I have a 2006 expedition 4x4
We've had it for about 6 months. It's always had kind of a growl as it slows down, kind of like the tires have big mud knobs. Not a huge sound, just a faint one that you only notice when slowing to take a turn or stop at a light.
I have the Toyo Open Country MT tires that are almost brand new. I always assumed it was the tires making the faint growl.
Just had the flywheel replaced a few weeks ago. (probably not related)
Now, it is making a louder growl that doesn't sound like grinding, but more like tires that are for mud. If I turn slightly to the right, it disappears completely, I mean silent. You don't even have to turn hard just change lanes.
So I immediately thought bearings. So I jacked up the right side pass and moved the wheel, no play in the wheel, no grinding... Smooth as silk. Then I checked the other three and they feel perfectly fine. I can't hear any grinding, or noise. The rear was making a little bit of noise from the brake pads, but that went away quick.

I even thought maybe the CV joints, I can't feel any play, and I put it on 4x4 to see if it acted differently, and it's exactly the same.

Soo. . Is it possible I'm looking at a tire out of alignemt? It doesn't pull one way or the other that I can tell.
Are there any other tests that I can make to determine if it's the bearing? Cause honestly ,I've heard grinding from bearings, and this is more of a low growl.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
Well, I felt nothing.
It had some tightness, but that's because it was turning the CV joint.
It was smooth. Could this be a problem with the CV?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Since the noise has changed, it's probably not the tires. You can play games like switching the tires side for side and seeing if it changes.

Have you checked that the locking hubs are completely disengaging? Does the sound go away in four wheel drive? I've read that can cause noises like you describe. But wheel bearings often start turning bad as you described. I don't know of any way to check them at this stage other than what you've already done. I've jacked up and spun noisey bearings and they seemed fine except when doing 40 MPH.

It won't cost you much to check the alignment, and it's possible that an experienced (and honest) shop could could tell immediately from the noise if it's a bearing going bad. Or you can throw parts at the thing and just change the bearings after checking the alignment and front end parts.

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
Since the noise has changed, it's probably not the tires. You can play games like switching the tires side for side and seeing if it changes.

Have you checked that the locking hubs are completely disengaging? Does the sound go away in four wheel drive? I've read that can cause noises like you describe. But wheel bearings often start turning bad as you described. I don't know of any way to check them at this stage other than what you've already done. I've jacked up and spun noisey bearings and they seemed fine except when doing 40 MPH.

It won't cost you much to check the alignment, and it's possible that an experienced (and honest) shop could could tell immediately from the noise if it's a bearing going bad. Or you can throw parts at the thing and just change the bearings after checking the alignment and front end parts.

Well,
I am not sure that the hubs are completely disengaged...Except that I can definitely tell when I'm in 4x4, wider turning radius, etc.
Should the CV joint be turning with the wheel when NOT in 4x4 mode? Because I can feel that the CV joint is turning with the wheel when it's jacked up. The sound doesn't change with being in 4x4 mode.

OP
OP
M

Marksfps

Reaction score
Check your hubs for disengagement. This video will explain what could be happening.

OK... Now where getting (somewhat) somewhere....Thanks for that idea!
So I checked this, and low and behold,... The CVs WERE engaged, the solenoid was not working and no vacuum was making it to the locking hubs, so the were locking.
You'd think I found the problem right? No.
I found A problem. I basically bypassed the solenoid by looping the vacuum line so the hubs would engage, I lifted each side of the car while running and verified this. Both wheels are free spinning with no noise while the engine is running. And if I take the vacuum loose, the hubs re-engage.
BUT
The noise is still there. The thing is that I can't quite tell, but it seems like the noise is 10% or so better. But it's still there, disappearing immediately on a right turn and getting worse on a left.
I hate to think I had 2 similar problems in the same area at the same time But it's looking like that.
I'm at a loss. I'm going to try taking the known good hub I took of the right side and put it on the left, unless anyone has any better ideas.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't do that. The noise was on the right side, right? You swapped the bearing didn't chsnge? If your noise is definitely on the passenger side, did you make sure the tire direction is correct? I've seen people have them backwards.Check that next. Jack the front up, run it, turn wheels, engage/unengage 4 wheel drive. Remove right front axle temporarily. See if noise changes. If you've elimanated the 4 wheel drive vacuum solenoids, and vacuum going to them, and your sure the tires/ wheels/ brakes are all sound, your looking at front differential.Thats the logical next step. Run a obd diagnostic to be sure.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk