Need help inspecting a used transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yumadoug

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used transfer case for a 2003 Expedition A4WD (5.4 Eddie Bauer) and I'm not sure about the internal clutch. Of course, when turning the main input shaft, the front (drive) shaft spins in 4H and slower in 4L. But in 2H if I turn the main input shaft and I hold a very tight grip on the front (drive) shaft, I can keep it from spinning but it takes a lot of effort. Feels, and sounds, like if you adjusted drum brakes too far and then you can barely turn the drum with a lot of effort. Should it be that difficult to turn in 2WD? Or should it spin more freely like an A/C compressor clutch when disengaged?

OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score
Clarification -

I'm looking at a used transfer case for a 2003 Expedition A4WD (5.4 Eddie Bauer) and I'm not sure about the electronic internal clutch. Of course, when turning the main front input shaft, the front (drive) output shaft spins in 4H and slower in 4L. But in 2H if I turn the main front input shaft and I hold a very tight grip on the front (drive) output shaft, I can keep it the output shaft from spinning but it takes a lot of effort. Feels, and sounds, like if you adjusted drum brakes too far and then you can barely turn the drum with a lot of effort. Should it be that difficult to turn the front output shaft in 2WD? Or should it spin more freely like an A/C compressor clutch when disengaged?

You use a feeler gauge to set the gap when installing a new A/C compressor clutch but I wouldn't know about the transfer case clutch.

And yes, trying to save money buying used! :)

OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score
I just read in a GM forum that with their transfer cases the clutches are preloaded so that resistance is normal. So I guess I'll go with that.