Need Help w/Rear Speaker Problem in 07 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are any issues with the speaker wiring to the rear door speakers in 07+ Expeditions? I was playing with my radio controls today and realized that my rear speakers did not put out any sound, which I never noticed before. Here is what I did:

1. Re-installed my factory head unit (I am using an aftermarket unit with the PAC SWIS Ford adapter) just to make sure the aftermarket stuff was not the problem, but no joy with the rear speakers.

2. I removed one of the rear speakers and tested it with a battery to verify it was not blown. It passed that test (the speaker was not blown).

3. I did continuity tests (with my voltmeter) on both the front and rear speakers. The fronts passed, the rears did not, indicating an open circuit (this is even with the rear speaker connected). I also did a continuity test on just the rear wiring and it failed.

4. I measured the resistance across the one rear speaker that I removed and it was 4 ohms (which is expected since it does not appear to be blown).

All of my tests seem to point to a break in the speaker wiring some place between the harness at the radio and the speaker connector. What really bothers me about this is that both rear speakers are affected by this (and don't work).

The only electronic work that has been done on my truck has been the installation of factory remote start (done by the dealer) and some headrest monitors/flip down monitor and DVD player by a local stereo shop. Unfortunately, I don't know when the rear speakers stopped working since I don't sit in the back that often :) .

My gut is telling me that these wires may have been cut during one of these two installs, but I don't see any immediate indications of cut wires at the radio harness. This made me think that maybe there is some 'issue' with the rear speakers, like a factory bulletin, that maybe I don't know about.

So before I go digging deeper (i.e. tracing the rear speaker wires out) any ideas?

OP
OP
J

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put new door speakers all around, powered by good 4 channel amp.
I didn't want to cross that bridge yet. After looking at the video install that was just done (which is not complete yet due to lack of parts and looking back I probably could have done myself with the exception of cutting the headrests for the monitors), I was thinking about just dropping some new speakers in the doors since it appears to be real easy to put them in. Running new speaker wire for the rear is not something I wanted to do yet.

Besides, I did think about that, but the biggest thing that I was unsure of is amp placement if I decided to go that route. Wherever it would go, I want a clean install that allows me full use of the SUV for both passengers and cargo.

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Run the wire through the door jambs with OEM wire loom. Put the amp in/under the center console.

OP
OP
J

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Run the wire through the door jambs with OEM wire loom. Put the amp in/under the center console.
Thanks for the advice. I am quickly heading in that direction since my "troubleshooting" turned up nothing today when trying to find the wire break (and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to take apart the interior without breaking anything compared to the last vehicle I worked on).

I need to see if there is enough room under the center console for an amp since I also have an aftermarket 1-Din DVD player in there now as well (facing back for the rear passengers).

Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well on mine I put it under the center console. It depends how big the amp is.

Blake22

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are any issues with the speaker wiring to the rear door speakers in 07+ Expeditions? I was playing with my radio controls today and realized that my rear speakers did not put out any sound, which I never noticed before. Here is what I did:

1. Re-installed my factory head unit (I am using an aftermarket unit with the PAC SWIS Ford adapter) just to make sure the aftermarket stuff was not the problem, but no joy with the rear speakers.

2. I removed one of the rear speakers and tested it with a battery to verify it was not blown. It passed that test (the speaker was not blown).

3. I did continuity tests (with my voltmeter) on both the front and rear speakers. The fronts passed, the rears did not, indicating an open circuit (this is even with the rear speaker connected). I also did a continuity test on just the rear wiring and it failed.

4. I measured the resistance across the one rear speaker that I removed and it was 4 ohms (which is expected since it does not appear to be blown).

All of my tests seem to point to a break in the speaker wiring some place between the harness at the radio and the speaker connector. What really bothers me about this is that both rear speakers are affected by this (and don't work).

The only electronic work that has been done on my truck has been the installation of factory remote start (done by the dealer) and some headrest monitors/flip down monitor and DVD player by a local stereo shop. Unfortunately, I don't know when the rear speakers stopped working since I don't sit in the back that often :) .

My gut is telling me that these wires may have been cut during one of these two installs, but I don't see any immediate indications of cut wires at the radio harness. This made me think that maybe there is some 'issue' with the rear speakers, like a factory bulletin, that maybe I don't know about.

So before I go digging deeper (i.e. tracing the rear speaker wires out) any ideas?
Go to center console on back of that radio there is a black and blue ground wire cut it. It keeps the rear radio off but keeps the speaks on if you unplug the harness from that radio you still have no sound you cut that black and blue wire leave it plugged in to that radio it leaves no power to that radio but keeps the speakers on. If you look up a diagram it will be wire 1.