Need help with specific info on the IWE vacuum system for 2007 Exp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeAndre

Reaction score
I have been searching for a couple days on the internet to find out the specific locations for all the vacuum connections, routing, check valve locations, etc for the 2007 Expedition XLT 4x4. Everything I have found regarding the IWE system refers to the solenoid valve being located on the firewall. I know that my 2007 the solenoid valve and reserve tank are mounted to the fan shroud on the passenger side. I see 2 check valves there near the solenoid but it's hard to see where the rest of the lines go to. Is there only 2 check valves in this system or are there 3? Where is the vacuum intentionally coming from? I believe I'm having the IWE actuators partially engaging while at speed and accelerating. I am thinking their is a vacuum leak and I would like to know the system before I dive into it. Just everything I find is mostly about F150s or different years that is not routed like my 2007.
Any help will greatly be appreciated

Update: After just driving it some more I'm kind of on the fence that this noise is actually the IWE actuators or part of the that vacuum system and think maybe it's in the transmission. Her is why I say that... It sounds exactly like it should be the IWE's and when I put it in 4H the sound goes away. But today while I was driving in 2wd along side a wall so I can hear it better I put the truck in neutral while costing at about 50mph. When put in neutral the sound also goes away even if I give it gas. So the sound goes away when in 4H and when in neutral. My thinking is if it were the IWE system shouldn't it still make the noise while moving in neutral. Could there be something wrong with my Transmission? I did just have the Transmission Oil and filter changed not too long ago. Could the oil level be too low or too high and cause this noise? I'm very close to taking this to a deal, but I hate paying them to wrench on stuff that I can very well wrench on myself.

Hopefully someone here can help me with this.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been searching for a couple days on the internet to find out the specific locations for all the vacuum connections, routing, check valve locations, etc for the 2007 Expedition XLT 4x4. Everything I have found regarding the IWE system refers to the solenoid valve being located on the firewall. I know that my 2007 the solenoid valve and reserve tank are mounted to the fan shroud on the passenger side. I see 2 check valves there near the solenoid but it's hard to see where the rest of the lines go to. Is there only 2 check valves in this system or are there 3? Where is the vacuum intentionally coming from? I believe I'm having the IWE actuators partially engaging while at speed and accelerating. I am thinking their is a vacuum leak and I would like to know the system before I dive into it. Just everything I find is mostly about F150s or different years that is not routed like my 2007.
Easy fix but you need to get those year specific red factory shop manuals.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you put it in any 4 wheel drive engagement and the noise goes away it is most likely your IWE system. When off, a small vacuum leak will cause a partial engagement and some noise. Since the vacuum changes slightly when accelerating the noise may come and go depending on the severity of the leak and the IWE's ability to keep up.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Update: After just driving it some more I'm kind of on the fence that this noise is actually the IWE actuators or part of the that vacuum system and think maybe it's in the transmission. Her is why I say that... It sounds exactly like it should be the IWE's and when I put it in 4H the sound goes away. But today while I was driving in 2wd along side a wall so I can hear it better I put the truck in neutral while costing at about 50mph. When put in neutral the sound also goes away even if I give it gas. So the sound goes away when in 4H and when in neutral. My thinking is if it were the IWE system shouldn't it still make the noise while moving in neutral. Could there be something wrong with my Transmission? I did just have the Transmission Oil and filter changed not too long ago. Could the oil level be too low or too high and cause this noise? I'm very close to taking this to a deal, but I hate paying them to wrench on stuff that I can very well wrench on myself.

Hopefully someone here can help me with this.
No because it is governed by vacuum. Check all your lines, get a good manual.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with 07navi. The IWE system is frequently an issue with these vehicles, and the troubleshooting is easy and straightforward. With a simple hand-vacuum pump, you can test every component. Disconnect the line from the reservoir and check it. Does the vacuum reservoir hold "pressure"? Remove the vacuum line from the solenoid valve and pull suction on the IWEs. Do the IWEs hold vacuum? Hook up the gauge to the solenoid and turn the car on. Cycle 2H to 4A/4H/4L and back. Does the solenoid cycle with the selector switch? Check each of the 2 check valves. Do they hold vacuum in one direction only?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with 07navi. The IWE system is frequently an issue with these vehicles, and the troubleshooting is easy and straightforward. With a simple hand-vacuum pump, you can test every component. Disconnect the line from the reservoir and check it. Does the vacuum reservoir hold "pressure"? Remove the vacuum line from the solenoid valve and pull suction on the IWEs. Do the IWEs hold vacuum? Hook up the gauge to the solenoid and turn the car on. Cycle 2H to 4A/4H/4L and back. Does the solenoid cycle with the selector switch? Check each of the 2 check valves. Do they hold vacuum in one direction only?
All good info.

JLM73

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am not new but this is my third Expedition since I joined. So I have a similar problem related to the Vaccum lines. I just replaced the timing and went through all the steps. My problem is that when I was disassembling the engine, three lines broke on the left side of the fan shroud or on the passenger (right side) and 2 on the driver side. As I tried to dig the lines out they just began to crumble. All the line diagrams I find are for different years and as stated above I can't find any good diagrams for my year either, which is the late model 08, which is a little different than the early 07'. If anyone could direct me to a good manual or diagram, I would be very greatfull. I found a picture that I took before disassembly and it is a good one of the passenger side, but no detail as to which line connects where. The drivers side is a mystery.

20200602_164139.jpg

20200602_164148.jpg