need new tires

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by powerboatr, Oct 16, 2018.

1. TobyU

TobyU Full Access Members

I read a few reports that people are not liking the Defenders but any new tires better than crummy old ones.

2. Retiredusps

Retiredusps Member

I have used Coopers ATA 3 when needed second set.On 3rd set now good traction wet, dry, snow. Average about 60,000 on the 2 sets.Probably could get more but its wife's daily ride with the kids!!!

3. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

That's pretty steep for those tires. They're about $730 + tax for 4 w/ mount, lifetime balance/rotation, and road hazard at Costco/Sam's. Sam's will also honor the treadwear warranty for any brand they carry provided you have proof of rotation every X miles. I paid less than $300 out-the-door for an entire set after they credited me for my dealer supplied Pirellis, which wore out after ~50% of the rated mileage. I think most tires shops could have beat $987 though.

4. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Full Access Members

I got the LTX M/S2's at Costco last month for $798 out the door (mounted, etc) at Costco. It was the normally running $70 of a set deal and the occasionally running free mounting deal. They do need to go back and get balance checked though. Feel a vibration a 70 - 80 that is new with these tires.

5. JerEazy

JerEazy Member

FWIW check your local craigslist/facebook. My last 2 sets of tires for truck and wifes car were OE takeoffs. There's a guy here in Tampa that runs a custom wheel and tire shop. Re-sells the OE wheels and tires with minimal mileage for half of what a new set of tires cost. And then you can re-sell your wheels a similar way and make up a portion of the cost.

Just my .02

6. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Be careful on the take off ones though. I bought a set of 20 inch takeoffs from a doctor who said they didn't work right on his wife's SUV. Me being a trusting soul, I payed him the $250.00 and went on my way. The reason he was selling them was their was a big ass plug that some shop put in one of the tires. I've fixed the leak that the plug was causing, but God that ticked me off. Like buying a used car, buyer beware! If you buy any used tires, even less than 100 mile ones like mine, look them over well.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

7. powerboatr

powerboatr Full Access Members

well if i move to a BIG city i might buy into costco....as in 90 miles is closest costco and its in a high tax rate city of rockwall...

this is a local guy, rotate rebalance for life etc.. its still less than discount tire
    i am happy.

8. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

Dunno what size you need, but seems excessive... '12 Gator EL stock 18" LTX M/S2 's are currently $110/ea

https://www.discountedwheelwarehous...MIks6p4sno3wIVCh6tBh2-IwnuEAQYAyABEgKIafD_BwE

If you don't trust smaller name merchants, Walmart.com runs a lot of sales pretty much all the time.. michelins are currently expensive again @ $160something, but they got Bridgestone Duellers @ $102

9. John Christopher

John Christopher Full Access Members

I looked up the 20" Michelin LTX for a 2012 and they are $197. Almost double the 18". This may explain your great tire deal and why other members are paying more.

10. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

What size do you need? And did you google, amazon, and walmart it properly?